Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new member need help

hi to all fellow patrol owners.
    I bought a 1999 gu 2 days ago and believe I have bought a lemon.

I silliy didn't check the 4wd system before buying and did some research on the rd28. (being under powered).
    Now I tried out the 4wd system and all bad things. noises and wheels kinda trying to lock up when turning even the smallest amount. I have taken to 4wd mechanic and he took for short drive. came back and told me the diff in the front is gone and the rear is also just about there. I have now bought new (second hand) diff centers and soon will begin the tare down.. not ever having worked on 4wd the front diff mainly removing the axles worries me.. I wonder if there are any special tools needed ?? also and tricks I need to know before going ahead..
    secondly mechanic has told me the turbo isn't working properly I just thought it was just a under powered 2.8.. I will most likely take back to mechanic to fix the turbo issue but will have a go at fixing, if anyone can point me in the rite direction.. I believe the turbo is working but its something else related to the turbo from what the mechanics has said..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude the wheel gripping and shuddering when turning in low 4wd is normal and due to the great limited slip doffs we have .
    Welcome to the forum mate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Geordie (23rd May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 8,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi, welcome to the forum, sounds like a bit of a disaster!

Did the mechanic tell you what that something else was by chance?

One thing you can do is to take off the pipe that goes from the air filter to the turbo, look inside the turbo and you will see the turbine part of the turbo, take a photo of that and show us.

Also, see if you can move the turbine left to right to see if the shaft of the turbo is loose and moving potentially hitting the sides, etc.

Do you know if your car has diff locks? are there any buttons in your cab saying diff lock or symbols of this by chance?

Is he a specific 4wd mechanic or a general mechanic? I have seen mechanics that have zero idea about 4wd's in my time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Geordie (23rd May 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Dude the wheel gripping and shuddering when turning in low 4wd is normal and due to the great limited slip doffs we have .
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    If you have had a good mechanic look at it and he reckons they're stuffed I stand corrected should have read the whole bit but it is normal in low gear for the rear to skip and shudder like you say .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me wonder about the diagnoses is he a great mechanic that can pick that up just by driving it or is he guessing as AB has said some mechanics are useless .
    Does it drive ok and turn ok without using low gears .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

AB (23rd May 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will get onto pics in coming days.. and no to any diff lock switches.. I went to 4wd specific mechanic didn't wanna waste my time with a joe blow..

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the is some weird feelings when turning in carpark just in 2wd.. witch would be rear diff binding up.. as for the front its just horriable not driveable.. sounds like its going to brake something..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it was like that when you bought it or just happened all of a sudden ? If it was like that when you bought it sounds like you could have a problem then .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was like that when I bought it I think.. I just didn't know what to look for well enough.. and I read so much saying they were slow with the 2.8 so when id drove slowly I just thort normal.. and didn't try the 4wd so should have but to late now.. just sucks there people like this out there ready to rip of others.. o well I will fix it all up.. I still love it.. just need to ls swap it lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    it was like that when I bought it I think.. I just didn't know what to look for well enough.. and I read so much saying they were slow with the 2.8 so when id drove slowly I just thort normal.. and didn't try the 4wd so should have but to late now.. just sucks there people like this out there ready to rip of others.. o well I will fix it all up.. I still love it.. just need to ls swap it lol
    Yes mate there a few flogged ones out there I'm just amazed at two shot diffs because they are tough as nails usually .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast