Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caravans sheesh.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on traveling pace/comforts/distance/terrain/pups/speed of setup wanted! KISS theory wins every time, enjoy:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still going to sell our Jayco Swan @mudski , bring up a bottle of something & let’s talk about a deal 🤣

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
    Still going to sell our Jayco Swan @mudski , bring up a bottle of something & let’s talk about a deal 🤣
    Are you buying something else Adam? We are not sure if we want to spend a little extra and get an off road model or not though...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Have to agree with you 10G but as you get older these unnecessary bits & pieces become necessities.

I started with a small tent, did the centre with the kids then upgraded to a larger one. About thirty years ago bought a cheap second hand caravan which served us well for about 10 years, the kids grew up and moved out so we sold the van and started staying in motels etc.
    Six years ago we bought a Jayco Offroad Eagle. The Patrol wheels bolted straight on and we also did quite a few modifications, like adding USB power outlets and LED lighting. We were pretty much self sufficient with solar and gas cooking etc. This went where-ever we pointed it and was trouble free but became more tedious to setup and pack up as I got older.
    Since I retired it was just to big for the two of us as the grandkids went with their parents during school holidays and we avoided these times for travelling like the plague. A couple of years ago started looking for something with all the bits and pieces for just the two of us and last year we sold the van .

We looked at heaps of different vans, campers etc. and visited heaps of shows and dealers and spoke with owners. Amazing what you find out when speaking with the actual owners. We looked at the Echo Kavango, Coromol Offroad and heaps of other 'so called' off road models.

A few months ago we took delivery of a new Jayco Adventurer, it's got all the bells and whistles and more. In my opinion (and others) it's well built and robust and I'd have no hesitation in taking it well off the beaten track. It certainly gets a lot of looks and comments at a camp ground and so far everyone who's checked it out has been impressed.

How it performs/holds up in the future we can only wait and see. It keeps my wife comfortable and happy and gives me the opportunity to get off the beaten track.

Attachment 75340
    Not a bad looking little outfit in the background there jack!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

jack (20th May 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '73 16' Millard and still a good van though we now use a teardrop van, light comfortable and perfect for two old foggies like us and our little sausage dog. Prices vary as do all things but a good one is around $6-10K mostly wood and a few fibreglass versions to cater to most tastes. Kitchen in the back sleeper in the front and 12v power only.
    Pete

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    @bigguwesty built up an old Jayco Dove to what he wanted. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...yco-Dove-Build.

I have been looking at all sorts of vans to get an idea of what we need. Sir Roofy's Penguin is the basic van design I am looking at getting, although his is a lot later model than our budget will stretch too.

I also liked the basic model Avan, as it has a solid roof which will withstand a lot worse weather.

Yep I've been over and seen Kallen's camper, he's done a bloody good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    There's a lot of churn and burn manufacturers coming out of the woodwork with unskilled workers putting out crap in recent years.

Nothing wrong with an older van and keep looking until you find your gem. It took me a year to find mine and it was a huge winner!

Agreed about prices but look at that as a positive thing being they hold their prices ridiculously, find a bargain, put a bit of love in it and you'll get your money back if not more in years to come.
    Now that's one thing I've noticed, 20 year old caravans get a better ROI (return on investment) than cars, so I reckon you're probably right AB.

Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    We recently sold our camper and are looking for a Jayco. Not sure on what size, Swan? Eagle? Dunno. Im over the camper trailer thing. Way too much bloody work. So we are looking for something a little older and then I will give it some love and make it ours.
    I have no experience with camper trailers. You never see them pack them up in their display videoa, only ever open them. I reckon there's a good reason for that and I reckon it's coz it's a bastard of a job, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete49 View Post
    I have a '73 16' Millard and still a good van though we now use a teardrop van, light comfortable and perfect for two old foggies like us and our little sausage dog. Prices vary as do all things but a good one is around $6-10K mostly wood and a few fibreglass versions to cater to most tastes. Kitchen in the back sleeper in the front and 12v power only.
    Pete
    This ^^^ is what I'm thinking about, something in the $5 - $10K range pre USB and LED lighting. Rip out the old stuff like gas ovens and inefficient fridge and put in new stuff. Toughen up the chassis, replace the suspension etc etc.

It can double as a spare room when the kids home from the city as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thinking of getting a small van my self. after all its onty to sleep in and maybe
    get out of the rain and make coffee and cook a bit if no fire. Dad had a ripper
    12ft job rear door but sold it due to poor health. was going to buy Simons 4wd tv Jayco dove
    but as you know things happen, Simon still emails me and Ill very gratefull for that.
    Must email him and see what he has now
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We've got a kanga camper. Looked, bought,sold many until we found 'the one' . It's gas struts so push on the bar, up it pops. Couple of poles and youre done. Not much weight to tow, so it can go on our 2wd as well. Love the fact it's a hard roof. All the basics, what it doesn't have the Patrol does. Perfect for our needs.
    http://www.kangacampertrailers.com.au/bigred.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by katwoman; 21st May 2018 at 04:17 PM.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah @mudski - we don’t use it , anytime we go away we swag it - now that I’ve FINALLY converted Moodz to swag life 👍🏻 Just for the record - not all caravans are slow - the night we bought it in Melb I was coming home on the freeway late at night at about 140 - moodz said “ why are you going so fast ?! “ I replied “ 2 reasons - 1 because I want to see if it’ll handle it & 2nd because I want to see people’s faces as I split them then realise there’s a caravan on the back “ 🤣

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprock For This Useful Post:

mudski (21st May 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
    Nah @mudski - we don’t use it , anytime we go away we swag it - now that I’ve FINALLY converted Moodz to swag life 👍🏻 Just for the record - not all caravans are slow - the night we bought it in Melb I was coming home on the freeway late at night at about 140 - moodz said “ why are you going so fast ?! “ I replied “ 2 reasons - 1 because I want to see if it’ll handle it & 2nd because I want to see people’s faces as I split them then realise there’s a caravan on the back “ 🤣
    We didnt use ours much but need one for our annual Merimbula trip. I had even thought to just hire one for that time up there...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast