Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day 10g.
    I`ve done the lot from swag to caravan, way back in 2001 we decided to forkout for an off road smallish van, did alot of research and were in negations for a new unit to be built to our specks. But while this was happening I was browsing the second hand market and there it was, a unit that I was investigating, only problem was the lay out was not quite what we wanted but as it had only done 350klms and me saving around $9000 over the new price the deal was done. I still have it and since 2001 it has most probably clocked up some 300-350 thousand Ks with well over half on dirt and tracks. since buying it , Yes I have done a couple of mods , removed things that we did not want and added a couple of things we needed. Point being. We bought what we thought would suit our needs then did a few mods, but I knew what I basically,wanted and then did the mods.Personally I would not by a new van, but would look at some thing around late 90`s and early 2000, vans don`t do many k`s ,well not many and there are a lot of older, much better built units that you can do a few mods to out there at very good dollars. My unit is a 2001 Supreme Get Away(pop top) , internal length 4mts external width is 2mts and weights in at 1800 kgs Pluses, Full steel tub, independent suspension, 3ton rated axle and bearings ,12inch brakes, easy set up, most times I don`t disconnect(for one night stop overs) no wet pack ups. Easy hitch up and go as the only thing I load at home is food and beer, every thing else is ready to go. Best of luck with your decision.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

AB (22nd May 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    G`day 10g.
    I`ve done the lot from swag to caravan, way back in 2001 we decided to forkout for an off road smallish van, did alot of research and were in negations for a new unit to be built to our specks. But while this was happening I was browsing the second hand market and there it was, a unit that I was investigating, only problem was the lay out was not quite what we wanted but as it had only done 350klms and me saving around $9000 over the new price the deal was done. I still have it and since 2001 it has most probably clocked up some 300-350 thousand Ks with well over half on dirt and tracks. since buying it , Yes I have done a couple of mods , removed things that we did not want and added a couple of things we needed. Point being. We bought what we thought would suit our needs then did a few mods, but I knew what I basically,wanted and then did the mods.Personally I would not by a new van, but would look at some thing around late 90`s and early 2000, vans don`t do many k`s ,well not many and there are a lot of older, much better built units that you can do a few mods to out there at very good dollars. My unit is a 2001 Supreme Get Away(pop top) , internal length 4mts external width is 2mts and weights in at 1800 kgs Pluses, Full steel tub, independent suspension, 3ton rated axle and bearings ,12inch brakes, easy set up, most times I don`t disconnect(for one night stop overs) no wet pack ups. Easy hitch up and go as the only thing I load at home is food and beer, every thing else is ready to go. Best of luck with your decision.
    Thanks pearcey. Sounds like you've done what I plan on doing, getting an older van and putting in it what we need & want & ditch the other stuff.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do I need to put om the Patrol?

So far I have the factory tow bar and bolt on rear coil support brackets. I guess I need van brakes and mirrors. Anything else?

Do these 3L CRD Patrols pull vans OK? I probably wouldn't look at anything larger than 16'.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

So far I have the factory tow bar and bolt on rear coil support brackets. I guess I need van brakes and mirrors. Anything else?

Do these 3L CRD Patrols pull vans OK? I probably wouldn't look at anything larger than 16'.
    You'll need extension mirrors to stay legal (I have them but don't fit them as I have a rear-view camera), also a brake controller and possibly an upgraded trailer plug. My van has ESC so needed a bit of extra wiring. Highly recommend a stone guard to save your rear window.
    As for towing power, you'll know it's behind you when you get around the 2000kg mark, my Eagle was around 1400kg fully loaded and was breeze. With the Eagle I averaged about 16.5 litres per 100 Km on our big trip, the new van has increased that to about 17.5L/100km.
    Don't expect to be passing anything going up hills, but hey you're on a holiday so enjoy the scenery,
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (22nd May 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

Sorry mate don`t know much about the 3lt patrols but towed mine with a n old 93 petrol for the first13 years with no troubles (only fuel but hey it use to get 23lt per 100 either flat out , standing at the lights or towing)Now I tow it with a youbeaut 2.5 Triton MN , with no problems. (35,000 around WA and some 20,000around Tas) so if sensible no reason the patrol wouldn`t tow something around the 14-16ft under 2,000kg van anywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with doing a old van , all up cost me $ 6000 when finished , put in new suspension and re wired it , took it on the Birdsville trk , Strezz, and cordillo downs, plus dozens of beach runs . Only updated ( well 2003 Supreme Territory ) to get a few more comforts ( shower /toilet )

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

AB (22nd May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @10G
    Have a Jayco Pop Top which I am thinking of selling
    $7,000 mark
    If you are at all interested PM me and I will give you further details & Pics

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parking fees unpaid on the later ‘right’ side pic top van @Bob mate!
    Much better view forward outa your actual windows;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the great advice and tips.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123