Thread: Suicide hose & catch can

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good job @Cuppa. You have ample room. My whole battery and DC-DC assembly is where your catch can ended up.
    I only have one vacuum tank, at the spot where you have two. So thats roughly where mine will end up.

While we're at it ... Do you know / Have you measured the barb sizes needed exactly? I see you've ordered 25mm -> 16mm reducers.
    Is the hose bar at motor end AND the air intake hose end the same? 16mm ?
    I'm a little confused what size hoses are needed exactly.
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're so kind @Hodge . FWIW if I'd welded something up it would have looked even worse, would've needed painting, & weighed more into the bargain.

Yep, both 16mm (5/8"). I've only pulled the hose off the air intake side so far, but it's the same hose & has no flare at the rocker cover end.

I was a bit concerned that my brass hose joiners may have been too restrictive due to their wall thickness, but when I checked, their ID was identical to the ID of the barb on the intake.

Ah, so that's what they are - vacuum tanks. I thought they might be something to do emission control. Doh! Wonder why I have two when one is sufficient on yours?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lid on mine wouldn’t screw on straight & would keep jumping over the thread no matter how carefully I tried to get it on straight so if yours screws on properly you’re off to a good start - they tell me the Provent filters fit he aftermarket copy cans but I turfed the whole lot out after a few months when the lid wouldn’t stay on & I wasn’t comfortable with the clamp contraption I’d made .

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those stainless mess filters are not worth a pinch of old cocky shit mate. When I was selling these years back I did a comparo of the mesh unit vs the original fibre filter. at 5000k the original filter would see 125ml of oil on average, I weighed the filter before and after too and noted the weight difference. Using the mesh filter, it only collected 35ml of oil on average and the weight difference was minimal...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mudski Ok, got ya. A ton of old cocky shit aint worth much, let alone a mere pinch! I explained this to MrsTea who simply smiled & told me I should get a dinky di filter so have just ordered a genuine (79 buckeroonies - swoon) Provent filter element - fingers crossed it'll fit my filter housing ok or a bit more explaining to MrsTea might be in order.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha . By the way your bracket looks good 👌🏻

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To wash out the fibre element I use petrol first, then hot soapy water. I found petrol the best to get the oil out of the element.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa
    I'm interested in what reducers you will be using.
    I've just had a play with some reducers / hoses I've come up with in our diesel hydraulic mechanics work shop.
    One issue I'm slightly concerned about is the internal hose joiners greatly reduce the internal diameter of the hose . So when a joiner is inserted inside a 16mm hose, the hose gains a 11-12mm internal restriction. If that makes sense.
    Now I don't know what pressure this works under or whether or not this will be of any hindrance.
    I've got the reducing kit pictured below at home but the joiners internal passage is 10mm at most.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've also found a hose that reduces internal size along the length . Designed for provent 25mm applications. So just cut where the hose diameter suits and you're set. A bit pricey though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F252254170757

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    @Cuppa
    I'm interested in what reducers you will be using.
    I've just had a play with some reducers / hoses I've come up with in our diesel hydraulic mechanics work shop.
    One issue I'm slightly concerned about is the internal hose joiners greatly reduce the internal diameter of the hose . So when a joiner is inserted inside a 16mm hose, the hose gains a 11-12mm internal restriction. If that makes sense.
    Now I don't know what pressure this works under or whether or not this will be of any hindrance.
    I've got the reducing kit pictured below at home but the joiners internal passage is 10mm at most.

@Hodge Yep I saw that kit after I'd ordered my reducers. Probably the one I should have bought if I'd found it earlier.

I measured the ID of the connection to the air inlet hose & it was exactly the same as the ID of the joiners I have - (approx 11mm /12mm). The Provent is made to be used on a variety of motors,including bigger ones than ours with greater blow-by flow. As I understand it as long as any restriction is no less than the stock TD42 then we should be ok. I can't see any point in trying to fit 1" pipes as there will still be the 11mm/12mm restriction which Nissan use.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th May 2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast