Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb dc-dc charger locations

G'day brains trust!
    Currently trying to set up a duel battery system in my 2010 wagon, and have decided to go with a CTEK 250s DC-DC charger, but struggling to find a spot to fit it. I had a great spot located under the bonnet for it, right next to the Aux battery, but then read that these units are quite sensitive to heat and that it is better to mount them in the cab somewhere.

I would love to hear where everyone has mounted them for some inspiration.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya,
    You are right that under the bonnet is not a good place, not sure how waterproof they are & they are usually designed reduce output as it gets hotter & to shut down above a certain temperature, meaning that the amount of charge gained when mounted in the hot under bonnet environment is likely to be far less than you want. Ideally they should be mounted as close to the battery they are charging as possible but if this is under the bonnet then compromises are needed. Can you fit it under a seat (I believe some have done this) or in a footwell - on the same side of the vehicle as the aux battery?

My install is no use to you ... mine is mounted in the rear canopy of my ute.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (14th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use a DC DC charger on an aux under the bonnet.

The closer the charger is to the battery the better so having to mount it remote starts to defeat the purpose
    You also can't parallel the batteries to jump or winch without additional circuits/components.
    Also teh max rate you can charge the battery is much lower than off the alternator.

DC DC chargers are primarily for house batteries at the end of long runs IE in campers/vans etc with the Charger mounted at or very near the house battery
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (14th May 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golioth View Post
    G'day brains trust!
    Currently trying to set up a duel battery system in my 2010 wagon, and have decided to go with a CTEK 250s DC-DC charger, but struggling to find a spot to fit it. I had a great spot located under the bonnet for it, right next to the Aux battery, but then read that these units are quite sensitive to heat and that it is better to mount them in the cab somewhere.

I would love to hear where everyone has mounted them for some inspiration.

Cheers
    I have my ctek system mounted on the cargo barrier directly above the rear battery bank. Only disadvantage is the route for cables from engine bay, then to battery bank and feed from solar panels. The units have a temperature compensation input cable so output should remain constant with a rise in temp up to 60 deg c I think it says in the manual, but would not put under the bonnet as others have said. Are you buying both the modules or just the single? I have both and did have one die after 9 months. Be careful where you purchase from because the electronics have a time dependent warranty, so if bought from a non ctek agent, it could be stock that's past its "used by date". I know this sounds like crap and stupidity but I went thru this when mine failed, bought it off the internet, failed, went back to ctek direct for help, got rejected as business selling the unit not an authorised seller, ended up having to buy a new one from auto agent, then opened my broken one up and it had a manufactur sticker 5 yrs previous. Ctek stuff must be 'in service' within 2 yrs or you are asking for trouble, so be aware of this little known trap.
    My system works well but probably a bit browned off about the hidden detail and warranty issues.

I run the 250 s and the smartpass modules
    Last edited by PeeBee; 15th May 2018 at 03:08 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (14th May 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A workmate mounted his Redarc in front of the radiator, used the fan mounts that are vacant on newer Patrols. Hard to get better airflow than that.
    Graham

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYou8 For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (14th May 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run a CTEK 250s and have it mounted upside down under the glove box facing the floor. Its just zip tied in with a couple of hefty ties. Its out of the way their...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (14th May 2018), PeeBee (15th May 2018)