Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike02Ti View Post
    Just because your point is rated to 5000kg doesnt mean you can swing 5000kg off it.
    Many other factors can come into play. Chassis strength and the actual condition (eg rust inside) of it being one.
    Another is the other rigging gear your using like shackles , extension straps, the bolts holding the recovery point or anything else used in the recovery

Say for instance your 8000kg snatch strap is used off one 5000kg recovery point.
    You connect to the bloke helping you out with a hitch reciever with a 4700kg shackle
    Now on your recovery point you attach a 3200kg shackle. The whole system of rigging gear thst you have just attached is effectively rated at 3200kg as that is the weakest link. Hope this makes sense.

I have even seen recovery points put on with bog standard galvanised bolts. Bloke didnt know any different. They fit and screwed in and he used them not knowing they weren't rated for bugger all. All he said was they wont rust. So something else to check as your hooking up.

If you bridle it depending on the angle of the pull, one side of the chassis will load up more than the other if its anything other than a dead straight line pull.
    Side loading may also play a factor depnding on the gear used.
    Once extra angles come into play and side loading etc all these factors will reduce the SWL of the recovery. But yes a bridle should be used wherever possible on both cars , not just the one being recovered.

Its something to be very mindful of when doing these recoverys as the forces can be tremendous.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Uuuummmm ... not quite.

You are mixing ratings.
    Some of those components are rated at breaking strain (BS)... (EG the snatchie)
    Some are rated at Working Load (WLL)... (EG the 3.2 Shackle)

The load limit of that rig in the example isn't necessarily 3200.
    As when the BS of the 3.2 WLL shackle is taken so you compare apples to apples it is at least 4 times or as much as 7 times the WLL. IE the BS of the 3.2T rated shackle is a minimum of 13 ton.
    The shackle will therefore be the strongest component not the weakest

The max rating of the rig in the example is 2.5 ton to 3.5 ton depending.
    Reason is the lowest rated item is the tow bar the hitch receiver is attached too so depends on that
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (12th May 2018)