OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Looking at a new V8 Patrol

  1. #21
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nando View Post
    Honestly i work with diesel trucks everyday of my life and truth be told if nissan had the 5ltr v8 cummins diesel in it id buy it over the petrol everyday of the week. However they dont and the v8 petrol is a smart choice as a result. Diesels with dpf's and egr's need serious milage and hours put on them weekly, and you might find this hard to believe but a good thrashing every other day. Worst thing you can do is drive around like miss daisy and start clogging up the whole system.
    The v8 in the Patrol does have a lot of benefits but if pushed it will drink more than an Ashes winning Australian team combined. In saying that the running costs over 150000kms would probably be cheaper to run than a 200 diesel for example. If a fuel system component goes on a modern day diesel get ready to pay big dollars, probably enough to fuel your patrol for the next 2 years and considering the cheaper entry price when buying your miles ahead.


    Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    Generally a true statement on DPFs - but that's not the problem with the 2.8's on the Prado, Hilux or Fortuner. It's a design fault that has them unable to reach operating temperatures above around 80km/h. They receive too much wind at over 100km/h, which means they don't hit operating temperatures. What I have said comes from emails I have from Toyota Head Office, and is also from the Japanese Engineer that came out and spoke with him in February to look at my vehicle. It was after around two months of me complaining and being fobbed off with the 'take it out and give it a drive' thing from every mechanic and wannabe from Toyota. And I have never been too much of a light-foot (except so far on the Y62 - I'll give it a couple of thousand kilometres. Not to say I haven't booted it whenever someone new jumps in...). They have changed an ECU to hit a Regen far more often and added a paragraph to the Owners Manual - and that's it for now.

    I put on 62,000km on the 2016 Prado in the 18 months I had it. It was not a school-run van. Add a loss of compression in a cylinder (apparently a first for this - hence the Japanese coming to have a look), a huge squealing sound coming from around the DPF (but it wasn't the DPF - they put 5 x microphones around it to check) and ridiculous week-long drop-off's at Toyota so they could try and fix it and I gave up. That's before the EGR needed a clean, even though I had a catch-can (Provent200 - so one of the best and an original one) - which Toyota did for free as a sign of good will. Can't fault the fact they tried to help - they really did. But it's a design fault that I was told I didn't need to worry about as they'd always be able to fix it again - great advice for the middle of the West Mcdonnell Ranges. I also countered about the 3.0L injector issues and asked if they were doing them for free for previous customers... I have emails from Toyota indicating a more permanent fix is in the testing phase, for release October this year. I couldn't wait that long. Whoever is first to the market with a high-flow Turbo-Back and inclusive of a high-flow DPF that is made for Prado and Hilux will make a killing...

    I'll take a simple, non-DPF, non-EGR, non-Turbo motor any day of the week. Those three things rule out diesel in Australia now - so Petrol for me all the way! And if you're shopping for that, you have (if you need 6+ seats as I do) the Y62, LC200, Range Rover or the G-wagon (until the Disco5 comes out with a petrol ingenium engine). With 5 seats or less, add Jeep and Velar I guess... the list isn't huge.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

    1nando (18th June 2018), Mushie (19th June 2018)

  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  4. #22
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamJam View Post
    Generally a true statement on DPFs - but that's not the problem with the 2.8's on the Prado, Hilux or Fortuner. It's a design fault that has them unable to reach operating temperatures above around 80km/h. They receive too much wind at over 100km/h, which means they don't hit operating temperatures. What I have said comes from emails I have from Toyota Head Office, and is also from the Japanese Engineer that came out and spoke with him in February to look at my vehicle. It was after around two months of me complaining and being fobbed off with the 'take it out and give it a drive' thing from every mechanic and wannabe from Toyota. And I have never been too much of a light-foot (except so far on the Y62 - I'll give it a couple of thousand kilometres. Not to say I haven't booted it whenever someone new jumps in...). They have changed an ECU to hit a Regen far more often and added a paragraph to the Owners Manual - and that's it for now.

    I put on 62,000km on the 2016 Prado in the 18 months I had it. It was not a school-run van. Add a loss of compression in a cylinder (apparently a first for this - hence the Japanese coming to have a look), a huge squealing sound coming from around the DPF (but it wasn't the DPF - they put 5 x microphones around it to check) and ridiculous week-long drop-off's at Toyota so they could try and fix it and I gave up. That's before the EGR needed a clean, even though I had a catch-can (Provent200 - so one of the best and an original one) - which Toyota did for free as a sign of good will. Can't fault the fact they tried to help - they really did. But it's a design fault that I was told I didn't need to worry about as they'd always be able to fix it again - great advice for the middle of the West Mcdonnell Ranges. I also countered about the 3.0L injector issues and asked if they were doing them for free for previous customers... I have emails from Toyota indicating a more permanent fix is in the testing phase, for release October this year. I couldn't wait that long. Whoever is first to the market with a high-flow Turbo-Back and inclusive of a high-flow DPF that is made for Prado and Hilux will make a killing...

    I'll take a simple, non-DPF, non-EGR, non-Turbo motor any day of the week. Those three things rule out diesel in Australia now - so Petrol for me all the way! And if you're shopping for that, you have (if you need 6+ seats as I do) the Y62, LC200, Range Rover or the G-wagon (until the Disco5 comes out with a petrol ingenium engine). With 5 seats or less, add Jeep and Velar I guess... the list isn't huge.
    I didnt realise the 2.8 was so bad......

    Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

  5. #23
    Beginner
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are also looking at a new Patrol at the moment, the minster of finance can't quite get her head around the 'wood' inserts. Has anyone removed them? Was wonder how hard it would be to remove and wrap in something more pleasing.
    Thanks, Glen.

  6. #24
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glend32000 View Post
    We are also looking at a new Patrol at the moment, the minster of finance can't quite get her head around the 'wood' inserts. Has anyone removed them? Was wonder how hard it would be to remove and wrap in something more pleasing.
    Thanks, Glen.
    Jump on the Y62 Aussie Patrol facebook site for plenty of pictures of people wrapping them in carbon look or similar. I've found it's grown on me, especially at night - with the lighting I can imagine I'm in a luxury car and it looks pretty speccy.

  7. #25
    Expert Dingbat MB TD42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 274 Times in 96 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years :P
    Last edited by MB TD42; 26th June 2018 at 08:20 PM.
    UNIT- E -4WD

    We're all here coz we ain't all there...

  8. #26
    Dribble Master Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    27,951
    Thanks
    14,218
    Thanked 12,371 Times in 7,069 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB TD42 View Post
    Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years :P
    Probably more years than you can get out of these modern diesels


  9. #27
    Expert Dingbat MB TD42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 274 Times in 96 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Probably more years than you can get out of these modern diesels
    Gorrr geez...what could go wrong with 2.3 twin turbo pulling a 3o foot caravan...
    UNIT- E -4WD

    We're all here coz we ain't all there...

  10. #28
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB TD42 View Post
    Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years :P
    Seeing as my LC200 motor lasted 135,000km (2012 GXL) and my last Prado 2.8 had the signs of failure at 60,000km - I reckon a petrol motor with no DPF, no EGR, no Ad Blue, no turbo's will shape up pretty well. They've both got just as many electronics that can go wrong now - not like the ol' 4.2 I had. Ask a few 70' series LC guys how their alternator goes in river crossings and whether the motor keeps chugging on after it...

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

    1nando (27th June 2018), MB TD42 (6th July 2018)

  12. #29
    Beginner
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glend32000 View Post
    We are also looking at a new Patrol at the moment, the minster of finance can't quite get her head around the 'wood' inserts. Has anyone removed them? Was wonder how hard it would be to remove and wrap in something more pleasing.
    Thanks, Glen.
    I am about to go buy one tonight - After weeks of reading reviews, forums (mostly here - thanks everyone), test driving, more test driving, few sleepless nights....

    But I agree one of my main thoughts has been, that fake wood is so 1980's, I had been thinking if there was some glued backed something that you could carefully stencil/cut and stick on....but then I probably wont be bothered in the end.
    The other 3 little things I was trying to come to terms with were (on a car this expensive):
    - the dash in front of the driver is a little dated as well compared to a few other cars I test drove
    - the seats could hug the driver a little more, I found I slid around in the big seats when corning (we do alot of km's on windy roads)
    - no rear cross traffic alert in a car this big (this one my wife has the biggest problem with)

    But I think its going to be an awesome camping car for the family and eventually a trip around OZ. I dont tow anything, so power is a little overkill for me, but I love the space - my wife will just have to get used to parking it at the supermarket!!

    Now all I need to decide is the colour......

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mushie For This Useful Post:

    MB TD42 (6th July 2018)

  14. #30
    Advanced
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB TD42 View Post
    Might be a nice rig but cant see myself spending 100k on a rig that will only last 5 years...I mean how much can you get out of an alloy petrol 4wd motor these days with all those electronics...the electrics are only good for 5 before you start chasing your tail with faults. i recon we're gonna see a fair few burn to the ground in a few years :P
    The v8 nissan super cars run the same motor with a few mods and a lot more hp. The alloy block holds up well and the vk56vd is considered an excellent engine.

    This platform had been around a while now, especially in the middle East and they are considered extremely reliable, hence why they out sell the LC200 3 to 1 on average.

    The biggest concern in the long run would be the direct injection and potential gunk build up on the intake valves. Your best bet to avoid this is to run 98 and quality oil.

    In my opinion the 62 is a rock solid platform.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1nando For This Useful Post:

    Maxhead (31st December 2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •