Thread: Looking at a new V8 Patrol

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill put it simply for you;

If you want power, reliabilty, space, comfort, mod cons and more power then the y62 is for you.

If you want economy then the y62 isnt for you. They arent as bad as the reviews but they're no 4 cylinder diesel thats for sure. In saying that a y62 would drag any of the 4 and 5 cylinder diesels to the scrap yard.

The 200 provides a lot of what the 62 provides at a ridiculous entry point and isnt as frugal as reported. The reliabilty of them isnt what Toyota leads you to believe and they're not even in the same field when it comes to power.

Coming from a dmax you may very well have unrealistic fuel expectations for the 62 and you definitely will be impressed with the power on offer. You have to remind yourself that the 62 has twice the power plus some of the dmax. It will move when u want it too and those horses need feeding.

I have no doubt a 200 would chew close to the same fuel if it produced the same power, but it doesnt.

Test drive all, enjoy the experience and then consider your requirements and buy accordingly.

I've had a 200 owner tell me i was cheap for buying a patrol. "Couldnt afford a 200" he says yet i live in the eastern suburbs of sydeny and my house could buy 3 or 4 of his.....fkn moron... If i was to spend 130k on a sahara or more id be buying a European car and not a jap car thats for sure! Plus the y62 is a better vehicle in my opinion!

The truth is money was never an issue, i just refuse to be ripped off! This same bloke then talks about economy which makes his first statement a double standard.

Write a list of your requirements and then test drive all your options and pick the one that ticks most boxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
    Thanks for the info , I haven't decided yet still seeing what's around , there is a few new Y62's in yards around here and quite a few on carsales , most of them have been on the lot for some time , still 2017 models some series 3 and some series 4 , is there much difference between the 2 ,
    I was told that the auto is a CVT is that right .
    Regards Jacko
    Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatal
    Last edited by 1nando; 7th May 2018 at 08:06 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1nando For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (7th May 2018), MudRunnerTD (18th June 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply put, the Y62 is a damn great vehicle. Not perfect but value for money, nothing comes close. Outback touring or rough off road it excels. I've done over 50,000km in mine in the past 2 years(now has 90,000km on the clock) and love it. Yes it can drink a bit but driven sensibly it returns pretty good figures on the open road. If I run the 275/70 18 A/T's and sit on 100 I get 13.4l/100k. Towing a Tambo Cooper camper trailer with the same wheels gets me 15.9l/100k. Running the 305/70 18 Muddies in the High Country returns 19.7l/100k (actual kilometres are higher due to the rolling diameter so fuel is better than recorded). That's with TJM full bulbar, 9" spotties, roof rack, dual battery system and 5 occupants.

Standard equipment compared to the 200 is brilliant. The throttle control modes work really well and the front traction control stays on in low range virtually locking the front diff.

The auto could do with a bit more manual control in my opinion. Down shifts are only allowed at lower revs, but first gear low range reduction is far better than my old RD28 GU.

I run mine happily on 91 octane fuel if I can't get 95. Never bother with 98 unless it's being discounted. Bugger all difference in usage or performance.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Guys
    Can I ask another question . Those of you that do real 4WDing have you had any problems with breaking CV's .

I get up the Vic Highcountry a lot , my Dmax is very good at busting CV's , I have had other IFS 4wds and I have never seen anything break as easy as Dmax CV's , its not just me either I know of plenty of others that have done the same .

Dash Cam of my second CV going crunch , how easy was this , my son was driving on a track I have driven countless times over many years , without any problems .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUZaF-F51Yk&t=69s

Thanks regards Jacko

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I havent had any problems and have used it quite a bit now. I havent really heard of anyone else having cv problems. They are a different animal compared to anythimg else. Everything can be approached with so much control and with rear locker and 4wd system it just eats most things.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, I am also looking into one of these. I was looking at a Prado, but didnt think the boot space was big enough - really not much bigger then my 2003 X trail, so I thought I'd go test drive the Patrol. My gut feel was that it was going to be a truck and hate the size of the thing for parking in a supermarket, but both my wife and I were surprised - great fun to drive. (Plus I am concerned about the DPF issue that doesnt appear to be sorted)

My question is when driving up mountains in windy roads, does it sway around much, or does the hydraulic suspension actually work to prevent this.
    Also I have heard a few issues with the cruise control not maintaining speed very well. Can any one here offer comment?

Thanks

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pick my Patrol up tomorrow morning , so give me a week or so and I will be happy to answer any questions
    DPF you do realise these Patrols are a V8 petrol so they have no DPF .

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackofjr For This Useful Post:

1nando (30th December 2018), MudRunnerTD (18th June 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
    I pick my Patrol up tomorrow morning , so give me a week or so and I will be happy to answer any questions
    DPF you do realise these Patrols are a V8 petrol so they have no DPF .
    Yep, I was referring to the DPF issue on the Prado. One of the main things pulling me towards the Y62 is the fact that its not a smelly diesel. It is looking like the simple reliable diesel of the past is no longer relvant with all the new emmissions controls.
    A quick google suggests that getting ULP in the middle of the outback isnt too big of an issue (except maybe the canning stock route).

I look forward to hearing how you find your new steed!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushie View Post
    Hi all, I am also looking into one of these. I was looking at a Prado, but didnt think the boot space was big enough - really not much bigger then my 2003 X trail, so I thought I'd go test drive the Patrol. My gut feel was that it was going to be a truck and hate the size of the thing for parking in a supermarket, but both my wife and I were surprised - great fun to drive. (Plus I am concerned about the DPF issue that doesnt appear to be sorted)

My question is when driving up mountains in windy roads, does it sway around much, or does the hydraulic suspension actually work to prevent this.
    Also I have heard a few issues with the cruise control not maintaining speed very well. Can any one here offer comment?

Thanks
    The body roll is excellent for close to a 3 ton vehcile. Excellent! In fact i would argue that its better than most.

I have a series 4 Ti and the cruise control is great. I've done nearly 18000 kms in 6 months including trips from sydeny to adeliade, Melbourne x 2, blue mountains, gulgong, mildura and a lot of others i cant think of right now but i never once thought the cruise control wasnt great.

The biggest issues with this vehicle are the stupid rear folding seats which dont fold flat, the Speedo is out by a lot (122km on the Speedo is actually 110km), the fuel gauge reads very conservatively and looks lower than what you're lead to belive. (good thing depending on how you perceive it i suppose)
    Other than that all good

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1nando For This Useful Post:

Mushie (18th June 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nando View Post
    The body roll is excellent for close to a 3 ton vehcile. Excellent! In fact i would argue that its better than most.

I have a series 4 Ti and the cruise control is great. I've done nearly 18000 kms in 6 months including trips from sydeny to adeliade, Melbourne x 2, blue mountains, gulgong, mildura and a lot of others i cant think of right now but i never once thought the cruise control wasnt great.

The biggest issues with this vehicle are the stupid rear folding seats which dont fold flat, the Speedo is out by a lot (122km on the Speedo is actually 110km), the fuel gauge reads very conservatively and looks lower than what you're lead to belive. (good thing depending on how you perceive it i suppose)
    Other than that all good

Having just come from a 2016 Prado with a 2.8 - I can absolutely state that there is less body roll in the Y62, far less nose-diving under deceleration and far less wandering on the road than the Prado. I had to get OME suspension just to compensate and make it a 'normal' car. Even then, the Y62 is far superior to that.

And yep - was on the third DPF.

Go the simple V8. I will never, ever look back at diesel again.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

1nando (18th June 2018), Mushie (19th June 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamJam View Post
    Having just come from a 2016 Prado with a 2.8 - I can absolutely state that there is less body roll in the Y62, far less nose-diving under deceleration and far less wandering on the road than the Prado. I had to get OME suspension just to compensate and make it a 'normal' car. Even then, the Y62 is far superior to that.

And yep - was on the third DPF.

Go the simple V8. I will never, ever look back at diesel again.
    Honestly i work with diesel trucks everyday of my life and truth be told if nissan had the 5ltr v8 cummins diesel in it id buy it over the petrol everyday of the week. However they dont and the v8 petrol is a smart choice as a result. Diesels with dpf's and egr's need serious milage and hours put on them weekly, and you might find this hard to believe but a good thrashing every other day. Worst thing you can do is drive around like miss daisy and start clogging up the whole system.
    The v8 in the Patrol does have a lot of benefits but if pushed it will drink more than an Ashes winning Australian team combined. In saying that the running costs over 150000kms would probably be cheaper to run than a 200 diesel for example. If a fuel system component goes on a modern day diesel get ready to pay big dollars, probably enough to fuel your patrol for the next 2 years and considering the cheaper entry price when buying your miles ahead.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1nando For This Useful Post:

AB (18th June 2018), Jackofjr (22nd June 2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast