Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Volt Air Compressors

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had the R/R one for about 6 years before it carked it, bought that for $120 on sale back then.
    This time round, I bought a similar looking XTM one from BCF for $93, only used it 3 times but so far so good and seems to be on par with the R/R...... I should add, that it's one of those ones that doesn't seem to have a duty cycle listed for it......... but hey, I needed one and didn't have the coin to spend

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (29th April 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Cuppa, We leave June 18 so I am just gearing up now so plenty of time

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have an iron man one cost me 180 bucks probably 4 yrs ago,and those from here I have gone 4wd-ing with will tell ya mine beats there's...nah nah nah nah nah
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    I have an iron man one cost me 180 bucks probably 4 yrs ago,and those from here I have gone 4wd-ing with will tell ya mine beats there's...nah nah nah nah nah
    No one cares..... go home

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,325 Times in 4,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, Mrs MB has been over the moon with her paddock $99 prezzie last year of a “Double Thumper - Max” :-)!
    Apparently ARB twin compressors overheat in serious use according to some, bullshit I says when recently leaving real tracks to assist with 6 of 35x12.5 + 4 of 33x10.5 in under 10 minutes.
    20L ‘rusty’ bad idea ‘steel’ tank pressure vessel ‘good’ help in between tyre build interchanges ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Pay attention to the duty cycle of any compressor you look at. More important than max PSI.

Some are advertised with no mention of duty cycle - give those ones a wide berth.

The higher the percentage of the duty cycle the better. 100% is best. They can run continuously without shutting down to cool, which not only is convenient but suggests far better quality construction (& promise of longer life).

I run a Boss PX07 with a 15 litre tank. Comparable in price to the bigger ARB units. Apart from being a good reliable & simple compressor, all parts necessary for a rebuild are readily available & the Aussie distributor is a really helpful bloke. I had originally installed mine poorly in such a way that any internal condensation collected in the check valve, which over time destroyed it. I emailed him with a query & he phoned me & then sorted me out with some different braided hoses & fittings so I could install differently a very reasonable cost (& far less than I could have got custom hoses made up for). Probably as close to a garage forecourt airline that you can get in 12volt. I bought mine on the recommendation of a friend who has travelled extensively throughout remote Australia over the past decade in his OKA & has used his PX07 regularly throughout without any issue whatsoever.

They also do smaller 100% duty cycle compressors which might suit better price-wise.
    Paid $600 odd when Big Balls were in business great pump boss 3/4hp but I prefer my thumper.
    never been a race to pump up tyres or re seat rims imo. Im going to run my Thumper with a 3 gallon tank to run some air tools if needed.
    As for price if it fails Ill just but a double ended thumper, ,just keep them away from sand, It was just called the big black pump back then.
    this makes then over 20 yrs old in design, you'd think improvements may have been made since then.I still have my Thomas bullet slow as they come
    but will pump all day, about the time it took to pump up one tyre lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (2nd May 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, picked up the Ridge Ryder on Supercheaps ebay site on special for $167 and with my ebay voucher brought it down to $117

Can't go wrong with that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PhillipA For This Useful Post:

Clunk (8th May 2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12