Thread: Tachometer GQ 1997 TD42

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tachometer GQ 1997 TD42

For the last few years intermittently the tacho/Speedo decide to take a break and have a rest usually in the 0 engine off place. Well after a Easter trip out west the tacho decide to have a rest over in the redline zone. Speedo still working well. Question is any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricapatrol View Post
    For the last few years intermittently the tacho/Speedo decide to take a break and have a rest usually in the 0 engine off place. Well after a Easter trip out west the tacho decide to have a rest over in the redline zone. Speedo still working well. Question is any ideas?
    Probably too late for a reply but it might benefit others.

I have experimented with GQ tachos and speedo on a test bench. I have found that with the needle reading over halfway and the power supply is interrupted momentarily, it will start reading in "reverse".

With the motor running, use the handle of a screwdriver to tap the wiring loom, fuses and connectors. If no fault presents itself, you may have to pull out the cluster and check the tacho circuit board.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (15th May 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, did what you said. Hit stuff. Nothing, so pulled the dash cluster out and pulled front glass off (needed a clean anyway) dust gets in everywhere. Moved needle back to zero. If it’s not wanting to work, looks better at 0 and not past 6000rpm. Plugged everything back in and started car. Guess what , it works. Seems the plug into the back may be the issue so will support plug harness with a zip tie.
    Thanks Mudnut
    HAPPY DAYS😁