Thread: Intercooler

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intercooler

Hi I am a newbie to the forum and have signed up as my 2005 GU 3.0l has a leaking intercooler.

My wife and I bought the Patriol second hand from the NSW Rural Fire Service in 2007 and we have completed many trips. Although we have not been to Nth Western Australia, or much in the Northern Territory we have covered a fair bit of the rest of Australia. We are pretty well set up with most of our gear aimed at stopping us from getting into trouble rather than to get us out. Internally we are very well set up with drawers, fridges etc. Until last year, we did not have a trailer as we liked using tent or rooftop but succumbed to an Ultimate XTrac which has an awesomely comfortable bed plus can go anywhere the Patrol can.

I have been advised to get an aftermarket intercooler. So, three questions.
    My main question is: Can someone advise a good brand? (I would like to install it myself.)
    Should I also install an EGT gauge as I now have a trailer to pull?
    Also are catch cans of any value?

Thanks heaps in anticipation, Fred.
    Last edited by Fredmw; 27th April 2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: To add intro.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome top the forum mate.
    Aftermarket welded intercoolers are a definate, rather than the crimped one from nissan which leaks. I have this one https://www.brownsradiators.com.au/s...&id=CACNIS1024 which is an inexpensive bolt in replacement for the OEM I/C. There is no performance advantage in this I/C.
    EGT gauge is a definate advantage so you know what your temps are doing. It is also useful to know aht temps you are getting so that if you do fit a NADS later, you can see what changes are happening.
    The 3L Di, which is waht I have is a heavy breather so, IMHO a catch can is a must to try and keep the I/C, manifold an MAF sensor clean.
    Hope that helps. cheers Tony
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.