User Tag List

Thread: Reverse Cam No Power?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reverse Cam No Power?

Hi all. So recently i decided to get off my arse and upgrade my head unit so i can hook up the reverse cam that came with my patrol. For what ever reason the connection from the camera was just cable tied under the dash and not connected to anything by the previous owner. Its one of those 4 pin type plugs that runs the length of the car via an extention cable. It's a single plug comming out of the camera then i have two plugs under the dash. I've heard with these 4 pin connectors you dont need to run a separate power cable. However I purchased a harness that converts this 4 pin plug into an rca so it can be plugged into the head unit (see below) and upon connecting everything I'm getting no signal, which i assume is due to the camera not getting power from anywhere. I have also attached photos of the wire coming directly from the camera, which is a 4 pin also. So with that being said, do i need to splice into the camera and splice a wire into the reverse bulb wiring? My head unit loom also has a reverse trigger wire, which im guessing i need to connect to the gear selector some home (auto trans). I hope someone can make some sense of all this because im stumped.cab002-01.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The camera does need power for it to work, which is usually used from the reverse light, or switch...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

bsteveo (27th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon further research the black plug on the rca harness is a 2.1mm dc socket. Thinking i could wire a male plug to the cig lighter or use one of these?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wired the cam up to the reverse positive and negative and nothing. Tested both ends with a multimeter both getting 12v

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain mate. After a river crossing a little while back, my Pioneer camera just stopped working. I was hoping it'll be the little inline fuse, in the camera's 12V+ supply cable, but, I wasn't of such luck. Seems like the whole camera has died after being sumberged for a little bit.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those 4 pin connectors should be usually wired up as the top 2 holes with the indent in it to line up would be + and -
    The ones on the bottom are usually for the rca inputs and reverse switch
    But it depends on how the camera was wired up and the original cables were run in the first place. Have you got the wiring diagram for the camera?

Probably be way easier pulling them out and running all new stuff instead of stuffing around unless you can determine whats going where on the cables already installed.

Basically you need the reverse wire to connect to the rear of the head unit , so it knows to switch to camera. Can do this one of 2 ways. Find the one coming from the gear selector or run one from the back of the car from reverse light.
    Then wire to the reverse light to the camera as well. Run a ground from where you want to.
    RCA From camera to head unit for the signal.

I added a switch in so i can over ride it when i want as well. This does mean running another positive though to the camera. If you do this though make sure to put a diode in the + line to the reverse globe or it will light up when you hit the over ride switch.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

bsteveo (12th May 2018)