Thread: Steering wheel natural position changed and sudden death wobbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steering wheel natural position changed and sudden death wobbles

Hey guys, hope you're all doing well.

Just came back from KI with the family and my steering wheel natural position has changed by at least 90+ degrees. I have an 89, td42 maverick that I bought from a guy who couldn't drive it anymore.
    Bit of background:
    He put a new 4" lift kit into the stock mav before his accident. The car had been sitting in his front yard for a year or two, so the lift is relatively new and suspension rigid.
    The steering wheel was fine when I bought it a month ago, however now it has rotated around by 90 degrees.
    Also, when traveling at speed and hit a minor road bump, sudden, violent death wobbles kick in (75+kmph) when I reduce my speed to below 70kmph it stops and I can bring it back to the speed limit.
    This doesn't happen all the time and there is no set speed that it occurs. I also don't have constant wobbles, its only sudden.
    The RAA check that I got on it stated that the drag link joint at pitman arm has excessive movement and there is a lot of free play in the steering wheel and wandering on the road, could this attribute to the wobbles and change in wheel position?

I have done some research and another thread (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/suspe...ddenly-173682/) stated that the panhard bushes are the reason for the sudden, out of control death wobbles. however, I am no mechanic and have no idea how to check it.
    The wobbles I'm okay with as I don't do much high speed stuff, moreso the steering.
    So my real question is, what could cause the steering wheel to do this and what would be causing the sudden wobbles?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    can you tell me what Caster Correction was added when the 4" lift was installed? your description sounds like Caster Correction issues to me.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    can you tell me what Caster Correction was added when the 4" lift was installed? your description sounds like Caster Correction issues to me.
    I wish I could sorry, the previous owner gave me the receipt but I have no idea was correction was used. Ill have a good look at the receipt and get back to you.
    Is there any way of checking this?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Okay so I checked the car and the receipt, it had drop boxes put in for the correction (I'm assuming that is a form of castor correction)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes it is. Id put in for a wheel alignment and ask them to check your caster and toe in. Start there.

Have you go pics underneath the car to confirm drop boxes
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be replacing that drag link & the pitman arm if it’s worn before anything thing if it states on the report there’s excessive movement in them .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot Sprock said X 2

Fix what you know is wrong ASAP and then work out what else needs doing
    The wear etc in the linkage will almost definitely be 'hiding' other issues at the moment
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,288 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the steering wheel has rotated 90degrees, without you doing anything, and was fine before. I would assume it could only be one of four things. The drag link is bent like a banana, the steering coupling is torn, the steering wheel has slipped on column or the pitman arm has moved on the steering box.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    If the steering wheel has rotated 90degrees, without you doing anything, and was fine before. I would assume it could only be one of four things. The drag link is bent like a banana, the steering coupling is torn, the steering wheel has slipped on column or the pitman arm has moved on the steering box.
    Whatever the cause it's a potentially dangerous situation which needs the attention of someone familiar with such things. It's not just steering wobble, it's what may or may not occur in an emergency situation. You or someone else could die, or risk spending the rest of your life wishing you had.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (26th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you hit anything hard ... a big rut perhaps, as it seems like you have bent something like the drag link, or something has partially let go.

Get underneath the front and check all the steering components, and if you are not sure what you are looking at, post up a picture, and someone will assist.

It certainly needs looking at as soon as you can
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast