This started about 4 weeks ago, I think it's getting worse, not really sure.

It's one of those sounds that tell you you need to find out what it is because you can tell it will eventually fail.

Anyway, it only happens when the motor is first started and lasts for around 20-30 seconds. It stays on idle, but if I depress the accelerator and build up some revs it goes away. Go back down to idle it returns.

It's hard to describe a sound, but it sounds like something that is loose and is rubbing on something as the motor vibrates, but I've prodded a poked and everything is tight, sounds like tin or plastic rubbing on something. Sounds like it's coming from the alternator or AC thing that sits under the alternator or is that a power steering thing???

The motor is a ZD30. Are the alternators or ac compressors or power steering pumps known to squeek or fail?

Yesterday I was listening and once the squeek went away, the engine seemed to become steadier and idle speed increased very slightly, like when you put a vacuum hose back on and the motor picks up and runs more smoothly.

As I stand looking at the motor, the sound seems to come from the right hand side, not the left.

Thanks for any thoughts.