Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a rattle.

This started about 4 weeks ago, I think it's getting worse, not really sure.

It's one of those sounds that tell you you need to find out what it is because you can tell it will eventually fail.

Anyway, it only happens when the motor is first started and lasts for around 20-30 seconds. It stays on idle, but if I depress the accelerator and build up some revs it goes away. Go back down to idle it returns.

It's hard to describe a sound, but it sounds like something that is loose and is rubbing on something as the motor vibrates, but I've prodded a poked and everything is tight, sounds like tin or plastic rubbing on something. Sounds like it's coming from the alternator or AC thing that sits under the alternator or is that a power steering thing???

The motor is a ZD30. Are the alternators or ac compressors or power steering pumps known to squeek or fail?

Yesterday I was listening and once the squeek went away, the engine seemed to become steadier and idle speed increased very slightly, like when you put a vacuum hose back on and the motor picks up and runs more smoothly.

As I stand looking at the motor, the sound seems to come from the right hand side, not the left.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Belt tensioner bearing on its way out???
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

10G (25th April 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Belt tensioner bearing on its way out???
    Yeah I wonder?? Could be??

The rattle sounds kinda like a 10mm nut & bolt done up loosely and rattling when in a piece of tin. The rattle is irregular, like tap ... tap..tap tap ...........tap....tap..........tap, not tap tap tap tap tap tap.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remove the belt and see it the noise goes away. That will tell you if its the a/c, alternator, belt, or idler....

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Remove the belt and see it the noise goes away. That will tell you if its the a/c, alternator, belt, or idler....
    I'm going to ask a dumb question coz I don't know, but will it start without the alternator hooked up?

How difficult is it to remove the belt?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    I'm going to ask a dumb question coz I don't know, but will it start without the alternator hooked up?

yeah she start up.(will display alt warning light etc.) shouldn't be too hard to remove.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On the arm of the belt tensioner theres a cast hex. I think its 17mm, put a socket on this, a sliding T on the socket (if you have) then a long bar over the T handle for extra leverage. Pull on the handle, I think pull clock wise, to compress the small shocker thingo on the tensioner, it will only move maybe 10mm, but its enough to make the belt slacken off.
    Just remember to take a pic of how the belt is before you remove it.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    On the arm of the belt tensioner theres a cast hex. I think its 17mm, put a socket on this, a sliding T on the socket (if you have) then a long bar over the T handle for extra leverage. Pull on the handle, I think pull clock wise, to compress the small shocker thingo on the tensioner, it will only move maybe 10mm, but its enough to make the belt slacken off.
    Just remember to take a pic of how the belt is before you remove it.
    Thanks Mark I apprecaite the help.

Think I'll get a new belt and keep the old one as a spare. My old Navara did one of these belts once just driving along. Took out the bottom radiator hose & something else as well from memory. You don't go far once they brake.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark I apprecaite the help.

Think I'll get a new belt and keep the old one as a spare. My old Navara did one of these belts once just driving along. Took out the bottom radiator hose & something else as well from memory. You don't go far once they brake.
    Yeah I used to keep a spare belt, tensioner and air flow meter under the passenger seat when I had the ZD. If any of these were to go, you aint going anywhere. And easy to change on the side of the road too if need be.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like.a failing belt tensioner to me mate.
    I've had 2 fail on me when I had my zd30 crd.
    The bearing hers dirt and grit inside and basically wears itself down to bare metal making a racket.
    Eventually siezes up.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

10G (25th April 2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast