Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,245 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Winches - Lowering Down versus Hauling Dead Vehicles Up

Quick picture grab of old ourselves off here, this situation was unbeknownst to us all and slippery as all getup. Reckon if on my lonesome would seriously consider slowly winch/lowering oneself down forward to flat ground first. Love snow but tis a long cold walkout from there and I friggin hate being cold without my 88C thermostat running :-)

EDIT: Forgot the old 6.5 twactor runs twin ACDelco 88C thermostats so that’s a whopping 176C in cab comfort as a minimum:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 7th November 2019 at 11:41 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2019), Rossco (8th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @MB ever though about some kind pulley system underneath
    ground clearance taken into account.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

7. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

MB (8th November 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah pretty sure the old Land Rover Military 101 a mate used to have was similar.
    Think the PTO spool was up underneath near the gearbox and you could direct the cable forwards or backwards from memory through roller type fairleads each end?
    Not so great if you’re stuck down to your floor pan on a GU like you say John mate!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    @MB ever though about some kind pulley system underneath
    ground clearance taken into account.
    Hey John, I thought about this set up long and hard as well, even fabricated up a pulley system bracket at one stage and to be honest it just was easier installing the winch in the back. The mistake I made was going as big as I did as the physical size of the warn 15000, plus the weight added vehicle length, weight and modification to the custom rear bar and the anchoring system. I would have been better off with a 12000lb unit, which funny enough I have one on the floor of the garage - somewhere. Anyway I have used the rear winch a couple of times and I think for the Patrol setup plus the issue with cable route especially when you are buried or on the p*ss its a good setup. Even a 9000 would be fine on a double pull I would think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (8th November 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost another year gone by and back onto the Shed Queen Ute rear Sherpa 17,000lb mounting mock-ups :-)

Could do with a bit of safety engineering advice if possible pretty please @PeeBee Mate?

Found this TJM plate to possibly utilise/customise off our old work Rodeo 9,000lb alloy bullbar mounted variant.

Appears to sit quite well 50mm above the rear cross member and no further out than the chassis ends.

Chassis ends have unused nuts possibly ready for approximately 12mm bolts I quickly guesstimate.

Cross member rear has unused nuts possibly ready for approximately 8mm bolts I quickly guesstimate.

I don’t really want to weld anything permanent to the chassis so hoping something like this scribble I could knock up as a bolt in adaption both left and right sides?

What’s your thoughts structural integrity wise brother or should I look towards an entire full width new plate with only single drop down wings left & right?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    those catured bolts on the side of the chassis rail are factory mounts for the Tow bar so will certainly hold that cradle. They where like that on my GQ. The GU uses bolts under the chassis rail. I fitted the towbar off my GUIV onto the GQ and made internal plates with nuts welded to mount it to the chassis then used those bolts to mount my rear bar. That will work mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (30th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although to be honest i would use that mount you have as a template and buy a piece of flat the right length so it sits straight on top and bits into the vertical plates bolted in. Weld a length angle or 30x6 along front and back edge like that has. Probably take the same time to fab as making those bracket.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (30th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    when I made my rear bar I started by making those brackets and making them longer and incorporating a 16mm hole in each as 2 rear recover points then bolted them in and welded everything else to them mounted. I will take some pics or find them in my build.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (30th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks Daz
    Just wondering now if the next weakest link in the adaptation (TJM plate <>Custom Z bolted plates) might handle 17,000lb potential hauling on say 45 degree angles, possibly 80 degrees track realignment sideways if sh#t got real gnarly:-(

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast