OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: My old Y61 just went to God and now ...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old Y61 just went to God and now ...

... I'm seriously considering ... no, let's be honest; I've all but talked myself into getting a Y62 (and after driving one it wasn't too difficult after the first few minutes). However, I do have reservations about whether or not I can afford to keep it in fuel. I would like to hear some factual and actual experience from owners, rather than listen to rumour, hearsay and scuttlebutt that as often as not comes from those with a different axe to grind.

The old Y61 (3 litre auto) could be nursed up to around 7 km/l (14/100) with a tailwind on a flat highway, occasionally maybe 8 (12.5/100) if very fairy-footed. It dropped back to around 6 (16-17/100) in the 'burbs, and 5(20/100) (rarely less) if towing a trailer (not over 2tonnes all up) or getting off road without a trailer. Less consumption would be nice, but being realistic, shifting 3 to 5 tonnes around the countryside does require energy, especially with a rig having the aerodynamics of a brick.

I could happily enough live with the equivalent consumption in petrol from a Y62, and if the claimed 14.4 km/l (7/100) is a fair and representative average I would be a very happy new owner. I've read a couple of test reports and other articles that suggest this claim may not be too far from the truth, perhaps with a couple of qualifications. But I've also seen about the same number of test reports suggesting consumption in worst case scenarios getting up to around twice this, figures as bad as 3 to 3.5 km/l (28-30/100). I strongly suspect that some of these test reporters, put into someone else's vehicle, just can't help themselves - especially with a fun-mobile to flog - and really give it the treatment that an owner would not. But then I might be wrong, too.

My options? I've looked around a bit and won't criticise the competition. Let me just say that after the Y61 I'm now 'over' having a small diesel engine. Add to this that with every new vehicle that comes onto the market they are getting smaller and more over-worked with every new technological 'advance' and every new emissions clean-up demand.

The Yanks got the formula right years ago: 'cubes = grunt'. No qualification was needed when fuel was cheap and the 'global warming' religion had yet to be born. I won't get into the qualifications that are needed today. Suffice that even the 'big cubes' diesels seem to now be suffering some sort of religious fervour-induced fever, and fuel cost is irrelevant if you can pass it on to the next bloke, as can most commercial consumers of diesel. Governments know that only too well!

So it's pretty obvious what I would rather not consider as options to my Y62 first choice, (i.e. any new diesel-driven tug with any size diesel engine but especially recently born midgets)

Another current reservation concerns the new, softer(??), independent suspension (especially rear.) Generally, I see independent suspension as great news. But let me say that I absolutely detest load levelling or weight distribution hitches. I refuse to use them and try to keep tow-ball load to 200kg or under - subject to trailer sway considerations. Questions: what's the standard Y62 system like around full tow-ball down-load (350kg) and at somewhere around half that (say 175kg +/- 25) ??

Hoping for favourable responses on both issues,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    howdy mate and welcome to the forum,there's a few people here with them already that should help ya out....typr y62 fuel in the search bar and with luck you'll find what you are looking for
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 8,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate, you might get a better response by asking questions in a different section as a lot of people don't the intro's but best of luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emcubed View Post
    ... I'm seriously considering ... no, let's be honest; I've all but talked myself into getting a Y62 (and after driving one it wasn't too difficult after the first few minutes). However, I do have reservations about whether or not I can afford to keep it in fuel. I would like to hear some factual and actual experience from owners, rather than listen to rumour, hearsay and scuttlebutt that as often as not comes from those with a different axe to grind.

The old Y61 (3 litre auto) could be nursed up to around 7 km/l (14/100) with a tailwind on a flat highway, occasionally maybe 8 (12.5/100) if very fairy-footed. It dropped back to around 6 (16-17/100) in the 'burbs, and 5(20/100) (rarely less) if towing a trailer (not over 2tonnes all up) or getting off road without a trailer. Less consumption would be nice, but being realistic, shifting 3 to 5 tonnes around the countryside does require energy, especially with a rig having the aerodynamics of a brick.

I could happily enough live with the equivalent consumption in petrol from a Y62, and if the claimed 14.4 km/l (7/100) is a fair and representative average I would be a very happy new owner. I've read a couple of test reports and other articles that suggest this claim may not be too far from the truth, perhaps with a couple of qualifications. But I've also seen about the same number of test reports suggesting consumption in worst case scenarios getting up to around twice this, figures as bad as 3 to 3.5 km/l (28-30/100). I strongly suspect that some of these test reporters, put into someone else's vehicle, just can't help themselves - especially with a fun-mobile to flog - and really give it the treatment that an owner would not. But then I might be wrong, too.

My options? I've looked around a bit and won't criticise the competition. Let me just say that after the Y61 I'm now 'over' having a small diesel engine. Add to this that with every new vehicle that comes onto the market they are getting smaller and more over-worked with every new technological 'advance' and every new emissions clean-up demand.

The Yanks got the formula right years ago: 'cubes = grunt'. No qualification was needed when fuel was cheap and the 'global warming' religion had yet to be born. I won't get into the qualifications that are needed today. Suffice that even the 'big cubes' diesels seem to now be suffering some sort of religious fervour-induced fever, and fuel cost is irrelevant if you can pass it on to the next bloke, as can most commercial consumers of diesel. Governments know that only too well!

So it's pretty obvious what I would rather not consider as options to my Y62 first choice, (i.e. any new diesel-driven tug with any size diesel engine but especially recently born midgets)

Another current reservation concerns the new, softer(??), independent suspension (especially rear.) Generally, I see independent suspension as great news. But let me say that I absolutely detest load levelling or weight distribution hitches. I refuse to use them and try to keep tow-ball load to 200kg or under - subject to trailer sway considerations. Questions: what's the standard Y62 system like around full tow-ball down-load (350kg) and at somewhere around half that (say 175kg +/- 25) ??

Hoping for favourable responses on both issues,
    Welcome champ.

I been reading up on the y62 for ages too as in January I was in a similar position.

Was a CRD patrol, 4,2TDti, 100 Series 4.2TD or the y62 or even a higher km200 series TDv8

-The CRD I still didn't trust plus they have a whole bunch of their own issues (Manifold warping, oil pump issues, high fuel consumption, leaking coolant timing case etc)
    -100 Series, too damn expensive because the Toyota tax and clearly its reputation. They hold value!
    -200 series unfortunately it would of been a higher km one and injectors on those 1kv motors are so expensive. 1000 dollars each. Yes I can purchase but I cant maintain.
    -The y62. Real world fuel figures weren't low (around 22 litres per hundre suburb. Highway was around 15.5 to 16.5). Worse when sensors get older with OBD2. I seen sand driving averaging 32litres per hundred.

In the end of the day. It was a no brainer for me, find a clean Td42ti.
    That's what I did. Its april now and Im still loving it.
    Its a big straight 6 Turbo diesel at 4.2 litres.

I came from a petrol 120 series v6 prado.
    As good as it is stock on fuel

Don't forget as soon as you mod a petrol 4wd. Consumption goes up so much quicker than turbo diesel model.

Right now I have a full size roof rack/cage on it
    35 inch tyres on steel rims.

I am average 14.6 litres per hundred . Daily suburb driving.

The Td42 is simple, economical and can be powerful with a dyno tune.

No doubt the y62 ticks the boxes for everything except fuel economy
    and that's a stock unmodified one.
    Once you add accessories. Its a different story.

I hope you work out what you want.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I still have my old rodeo ... 10l /100 .and its only just ticked over 600,000 kms
    It has been one of the most reliable fuss free things ever . it works hard .
    I got aGU TD42 T because I was worried it might stop . Its still going strong it has lived with a two ton trailer most of its life .
    Have re bearing the diff . change the injectors every 100,000 that's about it

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for those thoughts, drgtr. Thanks also to you and to those others who offered messages of welcome.

Your experience with other vehicles accords pretty well with my own and that of a few reliable (ie I can tell when they're telling porkies) mates who have had some of the 'others'. One mate flogged a TD42 in great condition and got a LC200 diesel that can cost him around 28-30 litres per when towing his glampervan in a headwind (but only all downhill, I think.) I'm not really fussed about that sort of consumption (petrol or diesel) in sand, with or without a trailer behind. I don't generally drive a great distance in such conditions. For every such km I guess I would drive maybe close to 1000km (weeell, a good few hundred, anyway) getting there and back home along the hardtop or dirt. That would in real terms be the bulk of my driving.

I acknowledge and agree with your thoughts on cost of engine mods, but after driving the Y62, I doubt that I would ever do much more than love it and look after it.

Yair, some of the accessories aren't cheap. (Nor are some of the replacement parts that I hope don't happen too soon after warranty expires.)

You've got it!. I'm so close to a decision I'm not offering prizes for guessing what it is. Just have to get the price down to what I can manage then accessorize over time as I can afford it. Hopefully that will leave me enough to pay for the juice in the meantime.

emcubed

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Couple of weeks ago I went on a 900km return trip with a mate in his y62 and it used 16l/100. Mainly hwy driving but sitting on 140 as 110 is just to slow for one of those...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.