Thread: UHF (CB) radio rant/question.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UHF (CB) radio rant/question.

I could just as easily put this in the 'What made you angry' thread. Grrrrr.

About 5 years ago I bought a Uniden CB for the Patrol, along with an extension speaker. It is a 'compact' UH7740NB 80 channel unit. It is also a POS which I have never been really happy with partly because of it's hard to use design - Squelch knob & Volume knob on the same shaft is a crap idea. Adjusting the squelch inevitably changes the volume for anyone with normal sized fingers.

Heading off with a friend camping over the weekend, so thought It may get a bit of use & a chance to check it out for our forthcoming desert trek. Perhaps the 4th or 5th time it'd have been used since buying it. Turned it on to re-familiarise myself with it , screen lights up, makes the usual noises, but the screen remains blank. Nothing to see except the coloured backlight. Bollocks. Not what you need when expecting to be headed into outback areas where a CB will be required in the not too distant future.

We have a couple of 1w GME handhelds (TX610), but I guess their lower power may well be inadequate our in the deserts so it looks like I'm gonna be up for a new in dash CB. Grrr.

It needs to fit in the same space on the dash as the current one, another 'compact' probably, but it may be possible to fit a standard single DIN size.

Looking at a few recent models online it seems that most dont have a squelch which needs adjusting 'on the fly' like older models, but instead have an on/off button for squelch - switching it on turns on a pre-set but user adjustable squelch level.

Can anyone who has this type of squelch control tell me if it is effective? If it is that's fine, but if you still need to adjust the squelch like on the previous CB's I've had, pressing a button, then having to turn a knob seems a bit cumbersome .......... but maybe in practice it's not an issue?

If anyone has any recommendation for an easy to use, reliable & long lasting CB at reasonable cost I'm all ears. I don't need a heap of bells & whistles just the ability to hear where other vehicles are & let them know where I am on the track.

DSC04980.jpg

Ps. I have an extension speaker fitted near the seat belt mechanism (near my ear) if that makes a difference to my choices
    Last edited by Cuppa; 11th April 2018 at 03:45 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMHO buy a remote head type so you have nothing in/on the dash but the handpiece

Prestige Communications are the best vendor in Oz IMHO... post anywhere superquick
    https://www.prestigecom.net.au/uhf-cb-radios

Pick the one you want (in-dash or remote) outa the linky thingy...
    I would go the Icom 450 for a remote head

I rate in order of quality;
    Vertex and Icom then GME
    GME usually offer the best value for a casual reccy user

Squelch... just go for the preset "on/off" IMHO
    You can adjust it via a menu if you get an abnormal situation but preset will work 99% of teh time

Do the world a favour and give your Uniden to a Prado Owner
    Last edited by the evil twin; 11th April 2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (23rd April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    IMHO buy a remote head type so you have nothing in/on the dash but the handpiece

Prestige Communications are the best vendor in Oz IMHO... post anywhere superquick
    https://www.prestigecom.net.au/uhf-cb-radios

Pick the one you want (in-dash or remote) outa the linky thingy...
    I would go the Icom 450 for a remote head

I rate in order of quality;
    Vertex and Icom then GME
    GME usually offer the best value for a casual reccy user

Squelch... just go for the preset "on/off" IMHO
    You can adjust it via a menu if you get an abnormal situation but preset will work 99% of teh time

Do the world a favour and give your Uniden to a Prado Owner
    Are uniden really that bad? I've had one in my car for 5 years, it was in it when I bought it. It's an old in dash unit but also has the remote head which I love because it has a speaker in it and I can hold it near my ear. Seems to have worked fine so far but I still don't know what the squelch knob does!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah, not really that bad I spose but I wouldn't buy one as, IMHO, there are better brands for similar bucks.

I was more getting at the fun to be had giving it away with the busted display
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before investing in another unit, have you tried a factory reset?
    Older Uniden radios had a good reputation. Might be worth a try to get a bit more use out of it.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, try a reset, look here
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reset suggestion, I didn't know you could do that.
    Unfortunately it didn't help. The unit's backlight changed colour & it was obviously cycling through the screen as in the video, but only tiny fragments of the screens info displayed. Below is most info which showed up. The LCD screen appears to be cactus.

IMG_0099.jpg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugger
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Icom IC 400 pro in the dash where you have your Uniden until I put in navigator and then chucked it in a roof console, they are excellent radios except for the cheap handset. The menu on it is a bit cumbersome but they all seem to be nowadays so it won't matter what you choose if you cant fix the Uniden. Maybe look at a 5w handheld with the option for an external speaker, that way you can take it with you when you need to get out of the vehicle.
    Cheers
    Andrew

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wetty For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (24th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have mail ordered an Icom IC-450. The 5 year warranty was the deciding factor.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast