Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mounting fridge in place of backseat

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a side note, a lady I work with let the rego expire on her Kia Carnival. When she took it for inspection she didn't have the removable (no tools required) middle seat fitted so it failed. I am on Hyundai Excel Track Cars page and a few guys there have been pinged for not having rear seats in 2 door cars.
    Graham

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeeYou8 For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (16th April 2018), TPC (16th April 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    Just a side note, a lady I work with let the rego expire on her Kia Carnival. When she took it for inspection she didn't have the removable (no tools required) middle seat fitted so it failed. I am on Hyundai Excel Track Cars page and a few guys there have been pinged for not having rear seats in 2 door cars.
    Graham
    Couple of things to note for the failure. If the seat is missing, but the vehicle has seat belts fitted, its a fail. If the vehicle is registered as say a 5 seater, and one seat is taken out, it fails unless it has been 'engineered to remove the seat - sounds crazy to have to pay to get an engineering certificate to remove a seat but its the law. I installed a cargo barrier in my GQ LWB with some gear hanging off on the passenger side and the VASS engineer wanted to rip the rear seats out and seat belts and "engineer' it for a 2 seater - like what exactly are your engineering you goose - basically removing the legal ability to carry rear seated passengers, that $500 thank you - think not.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,039 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    Graham
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Couple of things to note for the failure. If the seat is missing, but the vehicle has seat belts fitted, its a fail. If the vehicle is registered as say a 5 seater, and one seat is taken out, it fails unless it has been 'engineered to remove the seat - sounds crazy to have to pay to get an engineering certificate to remove a seat but its the law. I installed a cargo barrier in my GQ LWB with some gear hanging off on the passenger side and the VASS engineer wanted to rip the rear seats out and seat belts and "engineer' it for a 2 seater - like what exactly are your engineering you goose - basically removing the legal ability to carry rear seated passengers, that $500 thank you - think not.
    PLJ and I are both doing this temporarily for a trip up Cape York and will be putting the seats back after the trip so not likely to be a problem.
    The only worry would be if we got pulled over by some cop with a grudge on the way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (16th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reason that they require the removal of 'non-removable' seats to be certified is so that when the seats are refitted they are done so correctly and not bodgied up for sale or whatever.
    The seats, belts etc all form part of ADR compliance and ANCAP rating.

The reason that they require engineering of is because you 'permanently' change the seating capacity up or down it involves the issue of a Vehicle Mod Plate
    The interpretation of the difference between 'permanent' and 'temporary' is a grey area but some mermaids in some states will use 24 hours or less as 'temporary'

Bottom line is if it needs a Vehicle Mod Plate to be 100% legal but most don't bother (me included) and it is very rare but not unheard of to be stickered in a day to day operation BUT it will always cause a problem in any formal inspection
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW.
    When I had to go through the pits to rego my Patrol from SA to VIC.
    Rear seats were removed. The bloke told me to get rid of, tuck in the rear seat belts and all is good. Otherwise it would have failed.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 8,039 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    FWIW.
    When I had to go through the pits to rego my Patrol from SA to VIC.
    Rear seats were removed. The bloke told me to get rid of, tuck in the rear seat belts and all is good. Otherwise it would have failed.
    I had to get the Patrol inspected going from Vic to SA reg and the third row seats were removed with seatbelts still there and they never mentioned it.
    I guess SA is not as strict as other states.
    I have removed them now as they annoyed me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123