Thread: Do you use an exhaust jack?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you use an exhaust jack?

By use I mean do you get it out of it's bag & lift you car with it (as opposed to carrying it around in the car 'just in case'.

I've been carrying ours around in the car 'just in case', but with our forthcoming 'more remote than we've been before' trip coming up today was the day that I finally decided I should a) check that it works & b) familiarise myself with it's use. (Yeah, yeah, I know .... well overdue).

Not only did I discover that the rubber seals on the hose connection leak, even with silicon 'o' ring TLC. The bag blows up but slowly allows air to escape. If that were the only issue I'd source some replacement seals.

We also discovered that it's actually bloody hard work holding the hose onto the exhaust to maintain sufficient seal to pressurise the bag. MrsTea would do the initial holding whilst I did my best to ensure the bag was 'lined up', but I had to take over on the exhaust end to get sufficient pressure to do the final lifting as she didn't have the strength .... & I struggled. Perhaps the 'exhaust cone' is not designed for 3" exhausts?

After an hour or three trying the bag in every position we could under the car & failing because there are no flat'ish surfaces under which to put it on our GU (to lift a front wheel) we have given up & just used a normal jack, having determined that the exhaust jack is one item no longer on the packing list.

We did manage to get the passenger side front wheel about half an inch off the ground, but also had great difficulty, despite *numerous* attempts to make the bag go 'straight up' rather than taking on a 'lean' & causing the slightly raised car to slew sideways.

I'm really thinking that the damn thing is just a white elephant ...... at least for our car.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one that gets moved around a lot because it is always getting in the way. I have now moved it to the garage and later today.. probably gumtree.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... different strokes for different blokes I guess.

Nothing comes even close to as good on sand if you roll a tyre off the rim

I would NEVER be without mine and at various times I've used it to;

Lift old mates Trailer on the Great Central Road 'cause nothing else would fit under,
    Used it sideways against the B pillar to stop a vehicle sliding into a tree during recovery,
    Lift the vehicle and change a wheel (put the other wheel under the side step for safety but never had any hassle)
    Lifted a Van draw bar so old mate could hook up when his Jockey wheel crapped out.

I use either the exhaust (bit of a PIA I agree) or my endless air to inflate

I also don't really give a rats where the bag goes and let it find its own 'happy place', just a bit of carpet top and bottom and whooshka
    I just stay away from sharp bits and hot bits
    Last edited by the evil twin; 3rd April 2018 at 03:40 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used them and found they are quiet handy .A lot of times I will slide the jack on its side and pump up under diffs very stable beats a knuckle buster (hi lift )every time .Cuppa push the cone onto the pipe on a slight angle and push down it will seal really well.
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa, I have a high lift jack and the airbag, used both at different times, both suited the situation, and yes the exhaust funnel is more difficult to use for sure and takes a bit of effort, however whats now on my shopping list is the new hydraulic high lift jack that ARB have developed. I saw a video promo and waiting for the release. they look a lot shorter, but the lift height is great - recommend you give them a call - and let us know the price and release date pls!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New hydraulic jack looks good, but it needs to at $5 short of $1k. Give it a few years & perhaps they will have sufficient competition to bring the price down.

I hear what others have said in favour of the exhaust jacks, but ours (& the mechanical high lift jack) is staying home. Doing so saves some weight & space. To remove front wheels this arvo to check how the EBC Greenstuff brake pads are going (they got a real good flogging in Tassie) I tried the little mechanical Nissan jack for the first time (also carry a hydraulic bottle jack) & it did a great fuss free job, unlike the exhaust jack. MrsTea did one wheel by herself for the first time having observed me doing one first & managed very well.

I understand that the an exhaust jack is viewed as more a recovery tool than just a jack. But I hope that we will be cautious enough to not get ourselves bogged, but that if we do, we have other options - (shovel, maxtrax, winch, snatch strap) & if these fail anywhere where help is unlikely to happen along before we kark it from dehydration or starvation we have the satphone & epirb.

Btw the Ebc pads look around half worn at 35,000kms. Given their effectiveness that's ok by me.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What about an air bag jack? I saw one in use last weekend, albeit in somebody's shed running off a big compressor but it took less than 1 second to fully inflate with no weight on it. Very impressive.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273127342596

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EPIRB and carton of beer quickest recovery tools on the otherside of the great divide Cuppa.

Cuppa did you go the slotted rotors I got the DBA t2 ones and what an improvement.
    Last edited by dads tractor; 3rd April 2018 at 08:56 PM.
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    What about an air bag jack? I saw one in use last weekend, albeit in somebody's shed running off a big compressor but it took less than 1 second to fully inflate with no weight on it. Very impressive.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273127342596

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    They look great for in the workshop Winnie - may have to put in a request to Santa. Possibly a bit heavy/bulky for our travel requirements

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    EPIRB and carton of beer quickest recovery tools on the otherside of the great divide Cuppa.

Cuppa did you go the slotted rotors I got the DBA t2 ones and what an improvement.
    RDA Dimpled & slotted +EBC Greenstuff series 6000 DT. Only on the front though. Drum rears.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (4th April 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast