Thread: Recovery tragedies question

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Recovery tragedies question

The recent fatality at Gregory River, where a snatch strap became a missile and killed the rescuer, raises some important issues.
    It is not clear what gave way--the bogged vehicle attaching point, the strap or the D shackle. What is clear is there was no damper on the strap, and some part of the system was not up to the job.
    So here is a question? My 20 + year old snatch strap has never been used. It is always stored in my recovery bag in the drawers in back of the Patrol. Is there reason to be concerned about using it ????
    Comments please
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,680 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think if the strap has not been exposed to UV degradation and has been well protected then the webbing would not have degraded significantly. Might be a call to the strap manufacturer for a question. I know that some lifting straps, especially the endless ones get 'retired from service' after a period, however unsure if this is a statutory requirement of simply industry practice. I think the loading conditions are greatly different for a snatch strap compared to a lifting strap. I am also intersted in comments about this as I have a 20 years old strap that has been used a lot and maintained thru washing to remove the mud and debris, but its not used now as its too small for my vehicle. @ET, comments?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its amazing the amount of people that use a towball for recovery, just have a look on youtube.
    I saw an RACV wagon towing a car last week with what looked like a strap over the towball. Shouldnt be the same impact I know but its not hard to take the hitch out and use the hitch pin.
    So many modern vehicles have no ability to mount proper recovery points on the front too, on of the reasons I sold my RC colorado, if you cant recover off the front you shouldnt use it as a 4x4. And a couple of lifting eyes bolted to an xrox bar dont count and am sure people would have been caught by this.
    Not sure if straps deteriorate with age. I know im guilt for continuing to use and abused arb strap that must be 10+ years old but i make sure no one is neer it regardless and have a spare. I personally think bits of metal becoming projectiles would be more of an issue.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 8,043 Times in 3,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my strap a couple of years back, it was old and had a lot of use (mainly snatching a couple of mates Disco's).
    I was unsure how long you should keep them but when I last inspected it I found a small nick on the edge so that made it an easy decision.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (22nd March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are cheap enough that they should be retired if there is any doubt. I agree with peebee though if 8t is clean and protected and never been stressed then it is likely to be as good a s new.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a great question posted on here a few years back IIRC about a couple of 20L jerry cans with diesel still in them and usable was asked? Consensus I kindly learnt was “If in doubt, chuck em out” echoed above! Too big a risk for little gain I believe was put forward in the end. Snatch straps I know very little about but are kindly learning here finally. Do know that atmospheric moisture (humidity) up north on them beautiful beaches/country seems to get into everything though somehow and may be a consideration to turf out mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myth busters had an episode on cables snapping and cutting people in half which they busted but the danger with snatch straps is the stored energy if something lets go ie a mount or tow ball snaps off , if it's a heavy mount the dampener probably won't do much especially in the case of a towball if your inexperienced or should know better .
    There is a few here that won't use them and I'm among them it's either dig or winch , I have no idea what happened to my unused snatch strap and don't care what happened to it or who knocked it off but I do hope they never have to use it .

Thanks
    Thanked 7,006 Times in 3,400 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    There was a great question posted on here a few years back IIRC about a couple of 20L jerry cans with diesel still in them and usable was asked? Consensus I kindly learnt was “If in doubt, chuck em out” echoed above! Too big a risk for little gain I believe was put forward in the end. Snatch straps I know very little about but are kindly learning here finally. Do know that atmospheric moisture (humidity) up north on them beautiful beaches/country seems to get into everything though somehow and may be a consideration to turf out mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have two never been exposed to atmosphere or UV. One about 10 years old, one about 7. Would think they're ok but if they were opened out of their sealed packaging I wouldnt use them at that age.

As stated in recent thread I'd probably not use them anyway! For me very limited scenarios I would use one. Safer but slower will do me fine unless an emergency situation.

Just my 2c.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (22nd March 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things from the comments above: (1) Tow balls are for towing trailers--NOTHING else.(2) if there is no rated recovery point--leave it bogged--lack of preparation is not a reason to take risks (3) keeping people safely away is mandatory (4) Gregory River death was a projectile through the rear window, so somewhere in the attachment to the bogged vehicle there was a failure---I am guessing the "recovery point" was a tiedown bracket on the chassis.
    Meantime I will contact the manufacturer to get their comments.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    And when winching, lift the bonnet a some protection from missiles
    Last edited by Dr Gary; 23rd March 2018 at 12:18 PM.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with snatch straps. The problem lies with the people that use them (or don't know how to use them to be more precise). Over the years I have easily done over 100 snatches (both in training situations and in anger) and have never had a problem. Yes, I have had a few straps break, but the damper made sure the strap went no where. I think of the strap as the "fuse" in the system. I'd rather the strap break than bits torn off the vehicle. That's why I only use 8000kg straps.

I would bet that people killed and injured by straps were hit by bits of metal that were torn off points not suitable for attaching straps, or they used winch extension straps, or they used truck rated straps. Education is the answer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

04OFF (23rd March 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast