Thread: Service Agent recommendation for Engel fridge

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am happy with the performance to date from both my engels. The 60L was purchased new in 1984 and after rattling around for over 100,000klm in the back of the landcruiser, it needed a new compressor in 1993. This remains in play now and running well. The 29L is even older and this is the first time it has needed attention. If that qualifies as crappy I am surprised. By comparison my brother has a 40L Waeco and it lasted 6 months before the control board carked it. I think I will stay with this brand if I ever have the need to upgrade. No doubt there are horror stories out there and this leads to the inevitable 'which fridge is best question' but for me Engel is fine.

Anyway, fridge is booked in to an Engel service agent for monday and will see what the outcome is.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (15th March 2018), Winnie (15th March 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah have to agree mine was bought second hand in the late nineties and has been on countless trips being smashed around in the back of various 4bies. Now is a permanent beer fridge in the roasting shed and still a camping fridge in the 4by, so far has never missed a beat. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (15th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’ve had two Dangles and two Wakos, I gave one dangle to Belzi which was about 20-25yr old.
    I don’t use me other dangle on 12v as it’s so old that it would drain my battery in 5 min. Mind you it’s as old as some of you old crunts on here.
    Me wakos are bit cheaper to run but are still dinosaurs but never an issue. Ever!
    My pick for the next one woulda be a Dangle but it could be another 50yrs before I need it

Go Holden’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (15th March 2018), Plasnart (15th March 2018), Winnie (15th March 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, made contact with the service agent, booked the fridge in for monday. Got home tonight and had my daughters boyfriend remove the fridge from his truck - yes I now, i am a generous guy - and thought I would just check if it ran off my battery system - well yes it does, chilled from 22Deg C to minus 10 in 15 minutes. So, had look at the second battery in the hilux - 10.3V - bugger me. His vehicle sits for months on end, not used, and no maintenance charge on it - then expects to jump into it and all things good - anyway, looks like he needs a bit of guidance. Am pulling the battery out tomorrow and running it thru my refurb process and see how it comes up. With luck it will survive, as, i bought the bloody thing as well, and I'm not buying another one to have it destroyed if this one is knackered.

So, thanks guys for the input, but fridge looks ok.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hehehe... who'da thought it.

I have actually never seen an Engel that has shat itself, heard of it and seen 'em crap out on 240 but never seen one actually turn up its toes and expire.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (16th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Well I am happy with the performance to date from both my engels. The 60L was purchased new in 1984 and after rattling around for over 100,000klm in the back of the landcruiser, it needed a new compressor in 1993. This remains in play now and running well..
    I blame the Landcruiser. Never had a problem since you put it in a Patrol.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (17th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, had look at the second battery in the hilux - 10.3V - bugger me. His vehicle sits for months on end, not used, and no maintenance charge on it - then expects to jump into it and all things good

I see a Pattern forming.......
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (17th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, made contact with the service agent, booked the fridge in for monday. Got home tonight and had my daughters boyfriend remove the fridge from his truck - yes I now, i am a generous guy - and thought I would just check if it ran off my battery system - well yes it does, chilled from 22Deg C to minus 10 in 15 minutes. So, had look at the second battery in the hilux - 10.3V - bugger me. His vehicle sits for months on end, not used, and no maintenance charge on it - then expects to jump into it and all things good - anyway, looks like he needs a bit of guidance. Am pulling the battery out tomorrow and running it thru my refurb process and see how it comes up. With luck it will survive, as, i bought the bloody thing as well, and I'm not buying another one to have it destroyed if this one is knackered.

Had same prob here. Was watching thread with interest as my Engel was having a hard time 2 wks back, ran continuously all night and only got down to +13degC (near ambient). Sleep in back of veh, next to fridge to keep it company, ended up turning it off in the night as it started to get me a bit worried and to be honest thought the bugger might have a catastrophic failure. Noticed that that the Aux battery had dropped to around 10 volts. Shifted camp next day bit of a drive, battery quickly came up to to around 13+ volts but when engine off and with load on the volts dropped away quickly, typical of a dropped cell. Stupid chg indicator on battery showed green.

Had a spare battery at home in tow, put it in wag, just been away for a couple of days and fridge is all good. If your lucky to catch a couple , good to keep em cold.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (18th March 2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12