Thread: 99 gu 2.8lt possible blown head gasket water in the cylinders

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 gu 2.8lt possible blown head gasket water in the cylinders

Hi everyone has anyone had any experience in water going into the cylinders and did a head gasket that way. The racq road side mechanic told us on the side of the new england highway yesterday that its possible thats the reason my car overheated and shut down. It had a service last week there was no water or milky residue in the oil change, i was losing water out of my radiator he did all the compression tests found a slight leak in one of the overflow hoses so that was replaced. Never constantly blew smoke only on start up then she was right. Had trouble starting it some days replace the battery and it was good but every now and then it felt like the motor had a miss when doing the school run. It got towed home then tomorrow it will be taken to the mechanics to be pulled apart to assess the damage need to know if its sell a kidney repair or hopefully its just the gasket not cracked or warped. Owned it 4yrs had it since 243,000km on the clock not long ticked over 311,000

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annsimo For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (11th March 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My step son recently purchased a GU with a 2.8.
    10 minutes after we got the keys to it, it over heated while going up a hill as we headed to Beaudesert to change the rego into his name.
    Long long story short it over heated on hills , was pushing water out of the over flow as the cooling system was being pressurized by the blown head gasket. Otherwise it ran fine.
    Mechanic took off the head to find water in the cylinders, cracked head that was un repairable and it cost him $4000.00 to have it fixed.
    This included a new head, and timing belt, new glow plugs and labor, oil and coolant etc
    His $8500 car now owes him $12500.00 and a lot of stress
    But he was happy as when it was finally fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a fair idea its not going to be a cheap job when i 1st brought the car i had to replace all the seals in the engine, the timing, the radiator and the clutch. So my $12,750 car has cost me a small fortune already

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annsimo View Post
    Hi everyone has anyone had any experience in water going into the cylinders and did a head gasket that way. The racq road side mechanic told us on the side of the new england highway yesterday that its possible thats the reason my car overheated and shut down. It had a service last week there was no water or milky residue in the oil change, i was losing water out of my radiator he did all the compression tests found a slight leak in one of the overflow hoses so that was replaced. Never constantly blew smoke only on start up then she was right. Had trouble starting it some days replace the battery and it was good but every now and then it felt like the motor had a miss when doing the school run. It got towed home then tomorrow it will be taken to the mechanics to be pulled apart to assess the damage need to know if its sell a kidney repair or hopefully its just the gasket not cracked or warped. Owned it 4yrs had it since 243,000km on the clock not long ticked over 311,000
    Hi mate!
    It's bad news. Hope everything will be ok.
    Our folks use chinese heads. They are much cheaper than original but has normal quality.
    Avg prices on this photo 450 USD, without shipping from aliexpress.

Без имени-1.jpg
    Last edited by Wine_maker; 11th March 2018 at 11:34 PM.
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wine_maker For This Useful Post:

Avo (11th March 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im looking at the possibility of a full rebuild or get a new motor. Quoted close to 10grand for the rebuild

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how much it will be, if you will swap it?
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know gotta look for a motor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laurel or Cedric engines can be used with Patrol's turbo.
    But they don't run long. Cause they are atmo and not suitable for the turbo.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up just doing the heads and keeping it to just around town till the rego finishes and sell it im sure somebody would like a 99 patrol thats in good condition and wants to do a engine swap