OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standard SIM cards in sat phones?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Standard SIM cards in sat phones?

Did I read on here a while back that you can now put standard SIM cards into sat phones?

My plan is up on the sat phone so want to cancel the plan and just use prepaid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Short answer - depends

Long answer - is really long

Medium answer - you need to ask your provider... as some terrestial plans will work on Satellite if global roaming is enabled AND the provider sat service is the same as you want IE Telstra must be Irridium for example.

FWIW i run a $10 post paid Telstra Mobile service which works in my Irridium Sat phone but the call charges are HUGE.
    If i do use it in my Sat Phone... I have to pull the sim and pop it in a mobile and make a call so it "logs off" sat and "logs on" telstra Mobile.
    If I don't it thinks it is still a Satellite service and charges accordingly if someone sends an SMS or dials me as a wrong number.
    For $120 a year plus calls it works for me but I think that plan has been shitcanned
    Last edited by the evil twin; 9th March 2018 at 06:21 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, yeah It's a Telstra plan on Irridium.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andy,
    I believe that if you have a sim on a Telstra plan (ie. not prepaid) that it can be used in an Iridium satphone with 'roaming' enabled. I have no idea of the call costs when doing this.

When I was looking at buying a satphone the Iridium Phones were more expensive than the one I bought.

It may work out well to go down the Iridium path if you have an existing Telstra plan, but you really need to look into the cost of calls (both in & out) & the use you intend for the phone.

We found the cheapest for us (intention is for emergency use only) was the Thuraya XT Lite on a Pivotel $15 per month casual plan. No calls included. You get billed for any calls at 0.99c per minute, or 0.50c for a text. Most importantly you get a standard Aussie mobile phone number, (some satphones have 'satphone numbers which can be very expensive to call as well as to call out from, although my guess is that if you used a sim from a std mobile then you would have the same number as the mobile... albeit on 'Roaming' rates).

With the std aussie mobile number from Pivotel anyone can call you call you at the same cost as calling any other mobile. Text them & say 'call me' & the cost to talk as long as you like if they have 'unlimited calls' is just the 0.50c. We also thought that in an emergency/breakdown needing parts situation, folk are far more likely to call back if it isn't going to cost them an arm & a leg. Some are *very* expensive.

The XT Lite is basic but does all that is needed without unnecessary 'bells & whistles'. If that interests you, contact me for where to buy. We got a secondhand, but unused, one for $650 together with a few useful accessories & a 1 year warranty. The company leased a round 200 units to the Census people for their collectors in remote areas. Most were unused. (Our battery life between charges has been fine - recharged it a few days go after it has sat unused in the glove box for 3 months - was back to full charge in less than a couple of minutes).

It is commonly reported that Thuraya is no good in the southern states & excellent up north. Our experience in obtaining a reliable connection is that it has worked fine from our place near Ballarat, just the same from a mates beach on Bruny Island, Tas, & the one time when we needed someone to call us when up in mid western Qld it was fine there too.
    Where it may not be so good as other sat networks is if deep in valleys up in the Vic High country, but would still work if you got yourself to high ground.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

AB (9th March 2018), GQtdauto (9th March 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Thanks mate, yeah It's a Telstra plan on Irridium.
    Fair 'nuf... my 'psuedo sat' plan is called "Mobile Accelerate Casual Plan $10"
    I am almost 100% positive that new uptakes of that plan can't access satellite from it.
    A telstra dude told me a couple of years back "whatever you do don't change or upgrade that plan" but note that I use it solely for emergencies in Sat mode
    If you can still hit the Satellite then the call charges are $2 per 30 seconds IIRC (last time I used it was about 6 months ago).

The cheapest Telstra Satellite plan that I know of now is like $840 a year or somesuch and call units are approx $1 for 30 seconds.

Here is the linky thingy to the Telstra Docs... NOTE WHAT THEY SAY IN CHAPTER 7 esp CLAUSE 6 (sorry to shout but it is important)
    https://www.telstra.com.au/content/d.../mobilesat.pdf
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AB (9th March 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thuraya is geo stationary - their bird that covers Aus is up over the indian ocean
    If you can't connect you have to moce

Irridium uses low earth orbiting satellites - in the unlikely event you cannot connect you can try again after a short period and will usually get thru, just a matter of waiting for the next bird to come over

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My current sat phone plan is $30 a month so $360 a year and $1 a minute and I think 50 cents sms.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Thuraya is geo stationary - their bird that covers Aus is up over the indian ocean
    If you can't connect you have to moce

Irridium uses low earth orbiting satellites - in the unlikely event you cannot connect you can try again after a short period and will usually get thru, just a matter of waiting for the next bird to come over
    Yep even down in the deepest valley of the high country I can sometimes get reception pending waiting an hour or two.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the same unit as Cuppa and same plan , I can ring and put plan on hold if not going to use it for say 4 months or more which costs zilch but $45 to reconnect when I reactivate it .
    We used it same as Cuppa just text whoever and say give us a call as it's only a standard mobile no , had it with me at Ullpana island .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

AB (9th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I bought an older sat phone for $150 and leave it at the property for emergencies.
    No plan no worries and I can still ring 000 if something goes pear shaped out there

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

AB (9th March 2018), GQtdauto (13th March 2018)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast