User Tag List

Thread: Sticking Shift Solenoid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sticking Shift Solenoid

Hi guys, seem to have a sticking B shift solenoid on my GQ. Only happens very intermittently (twice now at least a month apart) and when the box is warm and she's working hard in 2 like driving up a steep hill. Get on to level ground and she refuses to shift up to 3. Stop and switch off for 10 mins and she's fine.

Clutch packs are all fine as she's recently been fully refurbished and I've had a shift kit fitted. She did overheat and burn out some packs which is why she got a refurb but she still had drive in 1 and 2 so was driving her around for a while (after changing the fluid) before she got fixed. I'm wondering if that's what's affected the solenoid as B would have been engaged all the time.

I've got a new solenoid pack coming but I just wondered if there were any other ideas? I've done the diagnostic and nothing shows up.

Apart from that issue box is running sweet although noticed D is a bit slow to engage on first start when the fluid is cold but we've had bloody cold temps (near and below 0°C) the past while and was just putting it down to that as the fluid will be thick? (First winter with her so don't know if it's normal) It is much better if I set the hand throttle to account for the cold.

Cheers in advance, Rob.
    Last edited by Barrbeast; 7th March 2018 at 09:05 AM.
    1990 4.2 Diesel SWB Safari MT - 2" lift + long travel shocks, 33" MTs, -35 Steelies, 17000lb winch, Steel bumpers, Rock sliders, Snorkel, CB, Manual hubs, LED lightbar, Rear secure drawer, Rear drop down table, Manual gearbox conversion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is slow to pop into OD when cool but this is a factory thing I can override this via the torque lock ,on very steep hills in low range first seems to be the only way to go for mine and no issues with traction so far .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not talking about OD mate, I'm talking about D when you just start her up after a sitting for a cold night /day. She just takes a bit longer to start moving.

I've got no issues with traction offroad, she ambles up slopes in 4wd no bother. The sticking solenoid issue I'm talking about is when on the tarmac roads.
    1990 4.2 Diesel SWB Safari MT - 2" lift + long travel shocks, 33" MTs, -35 Steelies, 17000lb winch, Steel bumpers, Rock sliders, Snorkel, CB, Manual hubs, LED lightbar, Rear secure drawer, Rear drop down table, Manual gearbox conversion.