Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDS Engine Data Scan

Hi.

I am following up the thread at http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...s-Scanguage-II.

I got myself an EDS Engine Data Scan (https://www.enginedatascan.com/) because my 2008 GU ST doesn't have any fuel economy info on its dashboard display.
    I thought it would be a sweet little add-on, low cost easy to install, what could go wrong?

But I have since learned that it doesn't work so well on a GU.
    The device has been shown to work ok BEFORE you program any specific data like engine size, fuel type etc. BUT, if you do enter the fuel type the Trip Meter will stop working and it will display ** NOT SUPPORTED**. (see above thread)
    I can verify that that was the case with my device. I reset it and entered everything except the Fuel Type and it appears to work.

BUT.....

Im not sure how accurate the readings are..... Its telling me that my 3.0L GU is sucking around 32L/100km (LHK). Now, I know my beast is a bit thirsty, but that is definitely not accurate!

The instructions that come with the device are not great and it does take some trial and error before even figuring out what they mean. I suspect I have done more of the error bit.

Keen to hear if anyone has had the same issue, no issue or found a way to sort out the issue.

Capture.JPG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Scanguage LHK means the live data. It will fluctuate greatly. As in the current moment while you are driving

have you got one that says AVG or something? That will be the average for that trip.Thats the one you would want

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my gauge to be a PITA for a trip computer function as well, very overrated. I’ve still got it installed, but just really use it for eng temp and battery voltage read out - wanted an easy to read “boost” indication as well, but this was way too complicated with the eds!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drgtr View Post
    On the Scanguage LHK means the live data. It will fluctuate greatly. As in the current moment while you are driving

have you got one that says AVG or something? That will be the average for that trip.Thats the one you would want
    Yes, there is a live data reading that understandably fluctuates madly. But also an Average LHK on the Total Trip meter:20180309_103050.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neilo99; 9th March 2018 at 11:05 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacho86 View Post
    I found my gauge to be a PITA for a trip computer function as well, very overrated. I’ve still got it installed, but just really use it for eng temp and battery voltage read out - wanted an easy to read “boost” indication as well, but this was way too complicated with the eds!!

My concern is how reliable are any of the readings, if one or two are obviously incorrect!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilo99 View Post
    My concern is how reliable are any of the readings, if one or two are obviously incorrect!
    The eds is only a read out from the factory sensors / computer, so as long as the information going to these inputs is quality, I’d have no reason to doubt the output.

The fuel readings are a completely different matter, because they require user input and also calibration they are open to errors and inconsistencies

2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense Bacho86.
    I have been in contact with the EDS website by email. All they could say to me was to try it on another compatible car and see if it does the same.
    Hardly a solution if you ask me, because I dont have another compatible car!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilo99 View Post
    Over a couple of hundred thousand K's I found that, once calibrated, the Scangauge to be spot on with the only exception being extended 4WD on surfaces with poor traction namely soft beach or a day playing in mud.
    Obviously no non-GPS instrument will work accurately in that case as the distance sensing is inaccurate IE speedo, odo, etc will all be out due to wheel slip.
    When touring I found that if the Scangauge said I had used, say, 140 litres then that is what it would take to fill the tanks +/- 2 or 3 litres.
    Speed was within +/- 1 KPH of GPS
    Boost seemed pretty good also, certainly close enough not to warrant a separate Boost gauge

Can't speak for the EDS as I have no experience with that device.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

neilo99 (12th March 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those running the EDS gauge on a CRD, what does your ect normally sit at? Mine is normally around 88-93 around town in the warmer weather, which I think is a bit hot. Then towing the camper trailer up the massive hill on Melba Hwy approaching toolangi it hit 100 on the crest of the hill, before cooling back down

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly what my Temps were (Scangauge not EDS but should be the same display data anyway).

88 When riding the thermostat just open.
    88 to low 90's around town or cruising
    Anywhere in the 90's to mid 100 (104 to 106) when towing in outback WA in 40 plus heat
    Did on rare occasion hit 108/9
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (13th March 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast