Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooked RD28

Hey All,

I just bought my second patrol two weeks ago, an rd28 gu. Since I picked it up it’s had cooling issues, keeps dumping coolant and overheating on the freeway. I changed the thermostat yesterday (old one was seized) and drove it to work today. It went fine up the m1 from Sydney to Hamlyn Terrace, temp guage didn’t budge all the way. When I drove home was a different story, temp guage went up to 3/4 on the first hill and on the last hill before I turned off the freeway it hit the H, so I pulled over and let it cool.

When I finally made it home I opened rad cap and it was empty again, I filled it up and let it idle for 5-10 with the radiator cap off. It kept bubbling, even after I put cap back on I could see air bubbles pushing into the expansion tank, also pulled oil cap off and had moisture/milky oil on it.

So I’m guessing I’m up for head gasket/head replacement. Just wanted to know what others have done in the same situation, it’s my second car and not a daily driver but will still be an inconvenience having it off the road for an extended period, is there like a stop leak/sealant I can put in temporarily until I get the time to repair it, or am I better off biting the bullet and ripping the head off now?

Cheers in advance
    Richo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome back to the forum. The signs all point to it being a head gasket. I have used temporary stop leak before, and the only real success I had was the silver seal. I ran it in an old Corolla for three years, but that was only for the radiator. Trying different stuff in an RB30 didn't work and I eventually had to do the head.

Do the job properly, do it once and pay once, then you will know for sure the donk won't let you down. Taking the head off will also give you a chance to check the crankshaft key and the plates on each end of the timing sprocket, the bores and piston slap. That way you can make an informed decision on what to to do with it.
    Last edited by mudnut; 2nd March 2018 at 08:58 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

RichoGU (2nd March 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudnut I thought this would be the case unfortunately, I bought the car cheap so I knew it was gonna have issues, most of which I’ve sorted out already but wasn’t looking to do head gasket so soon. Is it pretty much a certainty the head will be cracked or is it common with these for it to just be a gasket?

My first patrol was a 96 gq with an Rd in it that spun a big end a month after I had done the head so I chucked a td42 in, so I’m pretty familiar with the engines and not scared to work on them, biggest thing is finding the time to do it.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear it but sometimes it happens.
    Try this method as fast and easy check of the blown head gasket. Use glow plugs instead of the spark plugs.

But RD's heads really like to cracking. Especially after overheating.
    Last edited by Wine_maker; 2nd March 2018 at 11:00 PM.
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are kits to test hydrocarbons in the coolant, available at stores such as Supercheap.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.