Thread: Y62 Patrol Off road and Outback Touring

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Info on fuel only thing I wonder about is the canning stock route you can buy drums of PULP but be prepared to mortgage the house for it .

http://www.travel-australia-online.com/LPG.html
    Thanks, already did the canning many moons ago I must admit in no real hurry to do it again.
    Interesting feedback on ramp over clearance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, fuel choice is always an interesting topic over here in WA.

Having owned, Petrol, Dual Fuel and Diesel Patrols my views for remote (I stress remote) and wet season touring are;

1st - 10/10 for Diesel and a non CRD engine, 9/10 for mod'd filtration and 8/10 for stock Diesel CRD due to the issues with bad fuel guaranteed somewhere every year.
    2nd - 7/10 for Petty's (Octane Boosters mean you can use ULP in 95 RON and PULP engines)
    3rd - 3/10 for dual fuel as LPG is almost non-existent off the main highway and supply can even be unreliable on highway 1
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (2nd March 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found mine to be excellent as an outback tourer. Approach, departure and ramp over are all fine. Yes I have a 45mm lift but I'd think that even without it that clearance would be ok. When I tow my camper trailer, a Tambo Cooper, fuel use is around the 16 -18l/100km. And that's sitting on what ever the legal limit is. Not the 200 series grey nomad spec magic speed of 87k/hr for fuel economy. I usually run 95 octane but it runs fine on 91 without any octane booster.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fits5 For This Useful Post:

AB (4th March 2018), tonyci (5th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fits5 View Post
    I've found mine to be excellent as an outback tourer. Approach, departure and ramp over are all fine. Yes I have a 45mm lift but I'd think that even without it that clearance would be ok. When I tow my camper trailer, a Tambo Cooper, fuel use is around the 16 -18l/100km. And that's sitting on what ever the legal limit is. Not the 200 series grey nomad spec magic speed of 87k/hr for fuel economy. I usually run 95 octane but it runs fine on 91 without any octane booster.
    That fuel economy is the same as what I get in my TD42, pretty impressive.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    This is second hand info, so take it with a grain of Himalayan salt.
    Our very close family friends bought a Y62 about 2 years ago. Before the Y62, they had a 2003 Y61. They replaced it when the pump let go.
    Like me, they LOVE the high country and are up there every second they get. So they've taken the 62 up there a fair bit.
    The only only only complaint they have, is lack of clearance underneath... IN contrast to the 61, he reckons he keeps scraping, hitting bumping, the belly of it much more compared to when he had the Y61. Both of the patrols he had, had NO lift and the suspension is in factory state . So I don't know how a lift kit on a 62 would perform...
    Other than that, they love the car to bits. I do too, as I've driven theirs many times with a massive smirk on my face when the right foot gets heavy!
    Resurrecting an old post.
    If your close family friends are still using the stock tyres, then suggest to them to upgrade to a 295/70R18. Will fit on the stock 18" rims, and won't need a lift...the tyres will do it!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending upon where you go when outback touring you may only have Opal fuel available which I believe has the same octane rating as standard unleaded, 91. If you need higher octane you would need to carry a good supply of octane booster (assuming you can use it the same with Opal as you can with unleaded).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree ^^^^ with Cuppa

Couple of points;
    1. As mentioned by others, you can run Y62's their entire life on ULP (Premium fuels are recommended but Manuf Handbook says ULP is quite OK if you want and only proviso is "may affect driveability" IE full welly or max load out if you indeed notice anything at all)
    2. Octane Booster works fine in Opal if you can only access Opal and want to up the rating
    3. There are Octane Boosters and there are Octane Boosters, many are rubbish so use Google and pick a good one
    4. There are still some remote communities that don't stock Opal and only have Diesel
    5. My remote touring days ( CSR etc) are pretty much over now and I don't consider the Great Central, Gibb, West Macs etc remote so IMHO my Y62 is easily the best Patrol EVER!!!
    Last edited by the evil twin; 2nd May 2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12