Hybrid View

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y62 Patrol Off road and Outback Touring

Ok new to the forum. I used to have a Nissan patrol, one of the early GU,s.
    Moved away from Patrols, looking to come back.
    I can convince myself to buy one just on the smooth drive and V8 power.
    However I cannot find out much about their off road ability and suitability for outback touring.
    I have heard of the departure angle and rear bumper issue, sagging if you add a bull bar and the lack of heavy duty springs.
    I wonder about Premium unleaded availability in the back of beyond.
    All of these concerns have been pointed out by non owners I might add, so what are the facts ? help get me across the line.
    I like touring the Vic high country, and outback tracks, no kids to worry about just me and the boss.
    Any advice gladly accepted.
    Cheers
    Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum , the unleaded availability in the outback is actually pretty good these days and I've only seen one or two mainly stations that only sell diesel .
    Most give their machine a two inch lift at minimum but even stock they aren't that bad , if you add gear that's heavy you upgrade your suspension .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

tonyci (1st March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PULP availability in rural/remote WA is patchy, very patchy, but you can carry a couple of bottles of octane additive to fix that.
    My daughter has a Works Special Mini (goes like stink I must say) and that is what she does to get to and from the East when crossing the Nullabor.

The rest of the issues with the Y62 are pretty much as posted on blogs/forums but you are correct, listen only to the owners not the 'don'twannabees' who drive Prados, Great Walls or Ssangyongs
    Last edited by the evil twin; 1st March 2018 at 10:03 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

tonyci (1st March 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, was not aware of the octane additive.
    Will look into lift.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I missed the Premium bit sorry and ET would be right about its availability .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is what we use in her 'MinMin',

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/fu...octane-booster
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is second hand info, so take it with a grain of Himalayan salt.
    Our very close family friends bought a Y62 about 2 years ago. Before the Y62, they had a 2003 Y61. They replaced it when the pump let go.
    Like me, they LOVE the high country and are up there every second they get. So they've taken the 62 up there a fair bit.
    The only only only complaint they have, is lack of clearance underneath... IN contrast to the 61, he reckons he keeps scraping, hitting bumping, the belly of it much more compared to when he had the Y61. Both of the patrols he had, had NO lift and the suspension is in factory state . So I don't know how a lift kit on a 62 would perform...
    Other than that, they love the car to bits. I do too, as I've driven theirs many times with a massive smirk on my face when the right foot gets heavy!
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Our very close family friends bought a Y62 about 2 years ago. Before the Y62, they had a 2003 Y61. They replaced it when the pump let go.
    Like me, they LOVE the high country and are up there every second they get. So they've taken the 62 up there a fair bit.
    The only only only complaint they have, is lack of clearance underneath... IN contrast to the 61, he reckons he keeps scraping, hitting bumping, the belly of it much more compared to when he had the Y61. Both of the patrols he had, had NO lift and the suspension is in factory state . So I don't know how a lift kit on a 62 would perform...
    Other than that, they love the car to bits. I do too, as I've driven theirs many times with a massive smirk on my face when the right foot gets heavy!
    That is interesting feedback Eric, being an IFS and a IRS car there should be Mountains More ground clearance. If your rubbing its belly more than a GU then Im surprised as normally its the pumpkins that hit before the belly. When was the last time you rubbed the belly of your GU? I have not read a single negative on these things. they took some negative feedback when they first hit the market but that was because they were soo far away from a beam axle Diesel GU but damn they have now made their mark. Id have no hesitation buying one and going bush.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    That is interesting feedback Eric, being an IFS and a IRS car there should be Mountains More ground clearance. If your rubbing its belly more than a GU then Im surprised as normally its the pumpkins that hit before the belly. When was the last time you rubbed the belly of your GU? I have not read a single negative on these things. they took some negative feedback when they first hit the market but that was because they were soo far away from a beam axle Diesel GU but damn they have now made their mark. Id have no hesitation buying one and going bush.
    Its not so much the ground clearance but the ramp over. It is further between the axles than a gu. A lift would help this a little. The 62 has a great approach angle in standard form but has a bit of a fat arse and departure angle isnt as good as approach. Like the gu everything is well is side the chassis underneath and they even have some decent guarding under neath for a standard vehicle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd March 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Resurrecting an old post.
    If your close family friends are still using the stock tyres, then suggest to them to upgrade to a 295/70R18. Will fit on the stock 18" rims, and won't need a lift...the tyres will do it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast