Thread: Compressor mounting advise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    Does anybody on here have a ARB compressor and a catch can mounted under the bonnet of a GU CRD?
    I currently have my catch can mounted where the compressor could fit but not sure if both will fit together.
    Mine is under the bonnet on the drivers side .... I made a special bracket to fit it, and modified a couple of the mounting bolts to make it easy to remove for any maintenance.

I will take some pictures for you if you like
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

TPC (18th February 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,216 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished earlier installing an ARB single compressor on Mrs MB’s 2001 GU TD42T wagon inside under her front passenger seat.
    (no passenger side airbag as I believe our old family 2002 ZD30 ‘safety pack dual airbags’ may have had some electrical goodies in this location below.....unsure?)

Pretty happy as not one single Tex-Screw was needed throughout the making of this post....all OEM holes utilised :-)

#1 Removed her front passenger seat and commenced dry retching upon discovering what little animals have left under there!

#2 Found that two out of the four holes on here pictured below (I’ve marked with a + ) were threaded to M6mm and assuming this may have been airbag models ready?

#3 Used the ARB supplied backing mount plate and some 5mm flat bar I had leftover to start work on the back of the old GQ tray :-)

#4 Caught my rushed self just in time to realise the ARB backing plate needs to be 90degrees/perpendicular to my first nuffy thoughts!

#5 Drilled 8mm holes in locations pictured to allow for dodgey 6mm bolt hole measurements and gave both plates a good fast drying squirt :-)

#6 ARB supplies two sets of mounting bolts for different applications of which found on this installation idea all eight can be utilised.
    (4x cup head bolts & 4x hex head bolts)

#7 Cut down the hex head bolts supplied to 20mm long or alternatively use 6mm x 20mm fresh new bolts.

#8 If modifying the supplied bolts you will still need 6 x extra 6mm washers and 2 x extra 6mm nyloc nuts preferably or similar locking methods.

#9 Bolt the two plates together perpendicular using two of the now shorter hex head bolts, washers either side and two of the new 6mm nyloc nuts.

#10 Using the supplied cup head bolts that are designed to anti-spin on the upper side mounting slotted bracket finish by installing the supplied four washers and nyloc nuts underneath.

#11 Cut excess cuphead bolts to similar length of previous hex head bolts protrusion. (not too close and or hot as the nyloc may be affected?)

#12 Using the final two remaining ARB and previously cut hex head bolts with two new washers as before mentioned with fresh thread locking goo a decent slimline 10mm ratchet ring spanner can fit underneath for final OEM holes installation.

#13 Each to their own but I chose to install the compressor with air filter rearwards so as can unscrew for maintenance from under behind the rear of the seat. Also adjusted the ARB manifold and fittings to have the tyre inflation forwards with her new front locker only solenoid line pointing directly at the left side door to be able to run its hosing under the plastic floor trim up to the firewall tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (3rd January 2020), jay see (4th January 2020), mudski (3rd January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping I may have fluked this one also, appears this under passenger seat ducting might on ‘recirculation’ A/C mode drag all cabin low lying cold air straight past the ARB air intake ?

Either that or I’ll be draining Yanky Wanky McCookie crumbs out of our front differential sump soon :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: (reminder to oneself : - )

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent write up @MB, shame I read this trying to eat breakfast! Is that locker in now?
    Last edited by PeeBee; 3rd January 2020 at 08:15 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate, just wires to do next.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this is enough ratty carpet cut away for heat issues?
    Has been a long time since owning an ARB single compressor and can’t remember how hot surrounding they get?

Decided to trim off the OEM closest air duct flute as it was touching hard against the ARB piston area too. May have to shield further along too possibly?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (4th January 2020), rusty_nail (4th January 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Hopefully this is enough ratty carpet cut away for heat issues?
    Has been a long time since owning an ARB single compressor and can’t remember how hot surrounding they get?
    Decided to trim off the OEM closest air duct flute as it was touching hard against the ARB piston area too. May have to shield further along too possibly?
    very neat mate!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

MB (4th January 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job there MB and an excellent write up.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

MB (4th January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers John Mate!
    I’m sure there’s flaws in there although a little more excited again tonight after diving into my nuffy known elecy shortcomings getting slowly betterer now.

May have made a couple of voice calls to Legend Industrial Sparky @matfew Mate for ampy guidance and only dodgey connections at hand :-)
    Not enough wire colours in the shed to keep my project untangled so made a new “Candy Cane” (Drag&Twist) ‘TO DASH ILLUMINATION’ identification code :-)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (5th January 2020), jay see (5th January 2020), mudski (4th January 2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast