Thread: Who can read my ECU?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who can read my ECU?

Chasing someone in WA who can read and possibly change the tune in the Safari piggyback system that is in a 2003 GU I bought.
    I have contacted the manufacturer who tells me there is no one in WA who can but surely there is someone here who can plug into this system?
    I don't know how old it is but I'm guessing around 5 years?
    IMG_0975.JPGIMG_0977.JPGIMG_0976.JPG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate,

I've got same Safari Dtronic unit sitting on shelf as paper weight. Stop wasting time and money with that thing. They're older then 5 years too. No longer supported by anyone and you will not get it re-tuned/changed whatever you're after.

Get the engine ECU re-mapped instead....==> https://ecpt.com.au/
    Give them a call you will not regret it. The transformation is nothing short of WTF moment when you realize how much power ZD30 can have.
    You'll get mail order replacement ECU with NATS disabled and keeping original ECU for extra fee or send them yours and wait for it to be returned re-mapped. I had a spare unusable ECU from another GU so I exchanged that and keeping my original just in case, but their ability to disable NATS immo so straight swap is easy. Negative point is NATS red light is on while engine is running but who cares when you have so much power on tap that you feel drive shafts or prop shafts are being twisted under the strain. Another bonus is that they disable those pesky limp limits so 20+ psi boost with low EGTs at cruising are bonus.

Mind you, the re-map will expose any weakness in the drive line so thread carefully. Oh and for some reason fuel consumption is down too if you are sensible driver.....

Cheers
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 14th February 2018 at 11:32 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent them a message and they have replied that the injectors will be the restricting factor in power upgrades but they will be able to get more power down low and top end. They have quoted $750 without postage. I'm a bit hesitant not knowing what sort of power upgrades I can expect given the Safari is at the moment doing something for me. i would hate to unplug the current system, do the ECU upgrade and not get any more power.
    Is there anyone local who could do the same thing?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each to their own, but I can tell you from my own experience and that of another Dtronic Safari chip user that stock ECU mapping with Dtronic is no match/no contest for Harvey's ECU re-map. And believe me I have been postponing that decision too until finally bitting the bullet not because of extra power (I was content with Safari output) but because of limps I was getting and compromises I had to do.

No limps now and a lot more more torque/power. The best way to describe the power delivery is like when it hits like sledge hammer, its brutal, I actually tiptoe a little as I'm afraid of what will break with such brutal rush.... It is simple unbelievable what it does. On take off it will launch go through 1st and 2nd gear in reasonable delivery and then in 3rd it will come alive with such brutality your senses can't believe it. Safari has nothing on it, no offence. Mine is 5 speed manual and I actually throttle it back a little (have JDVM to manipulate MAF output) as I'm concerned with reliability. I run twin boost limiters (Dawes for low boost up to 12 psi for eco and Tilix for high boost 21 psi for power) and it surprises me even in the low boost mode especially the eco. Low 10s I could only dream off before...

After years of struggling with this ZD30 lack of power at take off low RPM shyte(Safari or not) and I had mine tricked up with every performance bit you can think of, especially in summer time with higher temps it would almost stall if I didn't slip the clutch while revving up to get it moving. No need for it now, I can't no longer tell difference, hot cold it doesn't matter this thing will launch with the vengeance, I no longer dread driving in deep sand too, not in low range anymore easily done in high range.

Mind you, limiting factor is VP44 injection pump not the injectors.

Good luck with the Dtronic thingie.

Cheers
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 15th February 2018 at 08:13 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

Avo (17th February 2018), silatman (16th February 2018)