Thread: Extra securing an angle grinder

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extra securing an angle grinder

Hey guys,

Is there a way(or rather necessity) to extra secure an angle grinder( a 100mm one in this case).

I mean once the switch is flicked on, it only disconnects if I drop it.

Why don't the smaller ones like 100mm don't have the switch like the 230mm one where you have to hold onto the switch for the thing to turn and can't lock it on the on position?!!

I am thinking about a 'braking system' & a switch similar to bigger ones where I have to hold onto it.

All these 'cos of getting an area of my palm well 'ground' accidentally, but luckily not a deep one that needed immediate immediate visit to the emergency.

Any ideas, thoughts? Or am I overthinking instead of being careful?
    Is it a waste of time to extra secure with my own additions instead of being careful with it, 'cos the authorities would've made such safety things compulsory if there is a necessity for it?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you just need to man up and use common sense when grinding. Or don't use one at all. If you're worried about getting hurt when using it you're not thinking about the task at hand, then the likelihood of getting hurt increases because your mind is not on the job at hand
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

dom14 (14th February 2018), NissanGQ4.2 (14th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rossco mate, was it Sparky Matty the other week that mentioned your old ripper Dewalt 240v 4” grinder style with trigger lock were now not allowed on big commercial sites here in Mexico? I think he also mentioned the thin 1mm cutting blades that we love were also either now or soon to be kicked off site too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    @Rossco mate, was it Sparky Matty the other week that mentioned your old ripper Dewalt 240v 4” grinder style with trigger lock were now not allowed on big commercial sites here in Mexico? I think he also mentioned the thin 1mm cutting blades that we love were also either now or soon to be kicked off site too?

Right you are Markie. Yeah I love both of them is great having a solid little toggle switch i reckon. . . Shes done a bit of grind'n that DeWalt . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB (14th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too mate! It does suck though they say picking ones schnoz with a thumb later in life, lol :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies Dom mate, was referring to another bullbar cutting situation, lol :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Apologies Dom mate, was referring to another bullbar cutting situation, lol :-)

No dramas, but next time you hijack one of my threads, you'll owe me a one non alcoholic stubby from ALDI, or even an alcoholic one on weekend, but that has to be a Carlton Dry.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I think you just need to man up and use common sense when grinding. Or don't use one at all. If you're worried about getting hurt when using it you're not thinking about the task at hand, then the likelihood of getting hurt increases because your mind is not on the job at hand
    Thanx for your comment mate, and you're right but you also have enough experience to tell me whether one of my key questions has any point to it, which is quoted below.

"Why don't the smaller ones like 100mm have a switch like the 230mm one where you have to hold onto the switch for the thing to turn and can't lock it on the on position?!!"
    Or can lock into position, but as an additional choice.

I do get it. Thinking about having 'braking system on a small 100mm grinder is probably bit over the top safety thinking. , but don't you think it makes more sense for 100mm ones to have a switch like the 230mm ones. I think it helps the damn thing slowing down while it accidentally grinds you 'cos you automatically let go the hold of the switch(I presume as a natural reaction).

After the accident, I'm more comfortable with the damn big 230mm than the small 100mm one, which is of course in my head, but that the way it is for now.

You'are also right about attention. Angle grinder demands total attention. It's not a good tool for day dreamers(which I am sometime).
    It's better to practice the imagination game of the mind without an angle grinder or a circular saw in my hand.

But, are you guys also aware it is NO rocket science to integrate a simple braking mechanism to bigger ones like 230mm? I reckon they haven't done that 'cos there can be concerns about the wheel stopping too quickly when the switch is released, depending on the grinding job(particularly the cutting disc jobs). Chainsaws already have that braking mechanism and a damn good idea considering the job they do, but the circular saw doesn't. All for reasons I reckon. I'm just bit late at picking up I reckon.
    Last edited by dom14; 14th February 2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: addendum
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Thanx for your comment mate, and you're right but you also have enough experience to tell me whether one of my key questions has any point to it, which is quoted below.

"Why don't the smaller ones like 100mm have a switch like the 230mm one where you have to hold onto the switch for the thing to turn and can't lock it on the on
    Some already do and have been commercially available for some time.

You'are also right about attention. Angle grinder demands total attention. It's not a good tool for day dreamers(which I am sometime).
    It's better to practice the imagination game of the mind without an angle grinder or a circular saw in my hand.

But, are you guys also aware it is NO rocket science to integrate a simple braking mechanism to bigger ones like 230mm? I reckon they haven't done that 'cos there can be concerns about the wheel stopping too quickly when the switch is released, depending on the grinding job(particularly the cutting disc jobs). Chainsaws already have that braking mechanism and a damn good idea considering the job they do, but the circular saw doesn't. All for reasons I reckon. I'm just bit late at picking up I reckon.
    Not rocket science? Righto.
    Firstly. Chainsaws aren't really a true direct drive as such. They have a clutch, used with a steel band breaking system to stop the bar very quickly.
    Secondly. Some circular saws and mitre saws etc have electical breaking. That does not stop it instantly but it does stop quicker than just ramping down. Have also been commercially available for some time.
    Thirdly. If you're that worried about a mechanically latching switch mech and too tight to buy a proper one, pull the swich off and file down the catch so it can't physically lock........
    None of that is rocket science.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Not rocket science? Righto.
    Firstly. Chainsaws aren't really a true direct drive as such. They have a clutch, used with a steel band breaking system to stop the bar very quickly.
    Secondly. Some circular saws and mitre saws etc have electical breaking. That does not stop it instantly but it does stop quicker than just ramping down. Have also been commercially available for some time.
    Thirdly. If you're that worried about a mechanically latching switch mech and too tight to buy a proper one, pull the swich off and file down the catch so it can't physically lock........
    None of that is rocket science.
    Why didn't you say so in the first place?
    I can do that with the existing one, and get rid of one of my above complaints.
    I'm onto it.
    About the braking system idea, I'm gonna leave that to another genius to work it out and sell it to
    the manufacturers.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast