Thread: HR trucks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HR trucks

Hey Guys,

Can any of you guys with HR license advise me about the possibility of getting it the first time for a bloke
    with no prior "non synchromesh" experience?

At this stage I am not considering LR or MR 'cos I think(I believe) the money's better spend on HR 'cos there is not much difference in cost, and the HR is more usable.

I've driven up to three tonne single axle trucks without issues, including backing up, so I'm pretty ok with that, including manual gears.

Armstrong fellas in Thomastown kinda 'pushing' for "synchormesh" telling me it's hard to pass "non-synchromesh" or trying to discourage me from going for non-synchro.

What is your opinion on that?!! Considering the cost of it, I am thinking it's better to go with the highest possible non restricted license, but...

Do I need some prior experience with a non-synchromesh truck with a mate or something before going in for the course with folks like Armstrong or similar accredited providers?
    I roughly understand non-synchromesh means 'double clutching' and as many gears as 18. When combined with other aspects of passing a big truck road test, I guess it is challenging, but with practice during a two day course, it should be ok or should it not??!!!!

Any tips, tricks, advice and warnings would be great.

Thanx
    Dom
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HR Trucks (Road Ranger non-synchro) are getting less common day by day.

Some Truck Schools will give students a crack at HR if you want to try it and if you aren't up to it then drop back to HR -A or HR -B.

On your HR assessment if you blow two gear changes or one gear change and have to stop and restart then thats that.

You then have to fork out extra dosh for another assessment in a different category either HR -A (auto) or HR-B (auto and synchro) or try HR again.
    Most reputable schools won't let you try an assessment unless they think you are ready.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 14th February 2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dom14 (14th February 2018), MB (14th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you Dom mate, earning tickets (licences) can be a great valuable thing in life!
    I would say the blokes at Armstong’s are advising you correctly mate. Only MR legally still under my belt from when I was a young bloke and TBH have never found the need to go over 15T in my game.
    If the cost these days for HR were the same as MR then would go for it mate!
    In regards ‘crash’ non-synchro box, unless your future plans or a job offer was on the cards then again Armstrong’s would be suggesting well for a synchro licence being enough I would agree.
    Have only ever mucked around in an old mates Scania on backroads and reckon dozens more hours for me to pass in this day and age would be needed.
    Good luck mate, keep us posted with the good news :-) !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dom14 (14th February 2018), the evil twin (14th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, typing same time as ET, please do listen to ET over me :-) !

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Whoops, typing same time as ET, please do listen to ET over me :-) !

Pffft... your post has as good info as mine Cobber
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (14th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Cobber :-) It has been a few decades since my test, up to date info is great always ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look into Government subsidies for your Truck License as a Re-skill qualifies you for subsidy. My Dad got it for free. If its free then go for Gold.

Non-Syncro is pretty basic once you have the hang of it. As ET says though plenty of Companies have moved away from Non-syncro boxes in their fleet for this reason so you need to figure out if it really is a limitation. I have unrestricted and was driving a Non Syncro HR for 8 years and really enjoyed changing gears. My Company is now moving to Auto boxes as the licenses are easier to get.

It really is Armstrongs Job to get you through and give you the skills. I would start your training with the Non-Syncro and if you havent got the hang by Lunch on day 2 then test in a Syncro box. the assessor will know what the right choice is. If you dont even try you will never know though and to go back and get that restriction removed you have to retest and retrain.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (14th February 2018)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just got for it mate. Nothing to lose. I love driving non Synchro. Just something about it, feels "trucky" and more powerful. We have a few trucks left in the yard with Eaton Road ranger boxes. 8 speed shifts, with Lo/Lo., and I am pretty sure im the only one who puts their hand up to drive one out. I love it.
    Pretty much got clutchless changes down pat, when the box is fully warm.

When you go for training drives etc, the assessors will see whether you're cool with it or not.
    When I went for my semi/artic, and b/double, I was shit out of luck as I was in a different truck just about every day throughout the 4 day course...
    You get used to one truck and find the sweet rev range spots and then the next day its all from scratch lol.

When I was at training school recently for mobile crane refreshers, their truck license area was like Bangladesh ....
    2005 TD42TI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I reckon you should go for the crash box. If you are going to drive a truck, you will almost certainly come up against a crash box at some stage.
    People get scared of the number of gears and the high/low range, but it really isn't rocket science. It will take a bit of practice but it will probably surprise you how easily it come to you.
    Your first session(s) should be simple gear changes up and down, up and down, up and down, etc, 3, 4, 5, 6 which is the top 2 in low range then the lower 2 in high range (12 speed road ranger). There is a 'splitter' as well but that is a piece of cake. After some experience out in the real world you will probably do most of your changes without even using the clutch.
    And definitely go for HR.
    If you get an open licence (not auto only) you will never have to do it again. Upgrading can be done in an auto as you have already proven your ability to handle the crash box.
    I have open MC and some years experience up to and including road trains.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good man BB ;-)!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast