Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 260,000 TD42 matinence?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

260,000 TD42 matinence?

Hi guys, I’ve recently brought a 2000 TD42 GU with just under 260thou under the belt. All in all she seems really tidy but didn’t come with any recent service history. It’s engine bay and underbelly is in showroom condition and I must admit that seduced me into asuming it had been looked after and maintained better than I do now. Mostly because when I went to check the air filter the other day I found half of the last sandy track she’d been down... with way to much sand on the wrong side of the filter and can only imagine how much of it had been sucked through the turbo. Anyway that’s all cleaned up now and there doesn’t at this stage seem to be anything wrong.
    I brought this from a dealer with “service history” and a fresh service from the shop, but it wasn’t until I got her home that when I was going through the books I found they stop at 55000.
    I guess my question is what things start to go and need attention at around the life mine is at now and into the near future.
    I’m about to drop the oil and change the filters even though they were just done “apparently” just to get any sand that may have blown through. And to organise a compression test also.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers 🍻

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would personally do everything so you can start fresh with it.

Engine, gearbox, transfer, coolant, etc.

You could take off the pipe to the turbo and inspect the turbo fins to see if the fins have damage or little nicks from the sand too to see if any sand has gone through the system.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Sparky92 (12th February 2018), TrollinAround (11th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major service in a Patrol is every 40K, so the next major is due in 20,000klms

Hard to know with a 4.2 as the oil goes black the moment you turn the key after an oil change, but for peace of mind you could either crack the diff filler plugs and check the oil quality and that will give you a fairly good idea of how it has been treated. Take the wheels off, and check bearings and brakes, etc...

I am one that has always done an oil change on any 'new to me' vehicle, and hasn't had a full service history from a mechanic....
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

TrollinAround (11th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the blokes above mate. Such a great truck you’ve bought there with an iconic, becoming rare motor to boot at only 260k clicks if true. Should be a lifetime truck for you, give it the best birthday it’s ever had for lifelong start off peace of mind together:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

TrollinAround (11th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll be going over in the next few days. New oil and filters, coolant flush, already done the air filter 😂, good old nipple greasing and possibly trans and diff oils. Any tips on how to best refill the transmission fluid, don’t I need some kind of pump?
    On another note, I was fitting the Spotties this arvo and found that the sand had made its way so easily into the air box because a part of the underguard thingy is missing. Anyone know what that might be called and where to get one?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Major service in a Patrol is every 40K, so the next major is due in 20,000klms

Hard to know with a 4.2 as the oil goes black the moment you turn the key after an oil change, but for peace of mind you could either crack the diff filler plugs and check the oil quality and that will give you a fairly good idea of how it has been treated. Take the wheels off, and check bearings and brakes, etc...

I am one that has always done an oil change on any 'new to me' vehicle, and hasn't had a full service history from a mechanic....
    Any idea on how to tell if the last major service was done or not?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how to tell mate, even if all oils looked clean, what brands/quality did they use? Plenty of threads on here from the TD42 blokes with great service advice.
    In regards your stock air intake question I would personally be fitting an aftermarket snorkel ASAP, your diesel will love you for it!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollinAround View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll be going over in the next few days. New oil and filters, coolant flush, already done the air filter , good old nipple greasing and possibly trans and diff oils. Any tips on how to best refill the transmission fluid, don’t I need some kind of pump?
    On another note, I was fitting the Spotties this arvo and found that the sand had made its way so easily into the air box because a part of the underguard thingy is missing. Anyone know what that might be called and where to get one?
    Trannny fluid replacement at home is a nightmare!

Get a manual pump, use your good arm and don't have a wank that day as you'll need all the strength and endurance!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Avo (11th February 2018), MB (11th February 2018), Rossco (11th February 2018), TrollinAround (11th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Trannny fluid replacement at home is a nightmare!

Get a manual pump, use your good arm and don't have a wank that day as you'll need all the strength and endurance!

Or just fill a bucket or small esky full of hot water and leave the unopened oil bottle in the hot water to heat up and thin out. Then have a celebratory wank... win win
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

AB (12th February 2018), Avo (11th February 2018), gaddy (12th February 2018), MB (11th February 2018), Rossco (12th February 2018), TrollinAround (11th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have used ‘empty clean old’ automatic transmission 1L fluid bottles to fill with manual gearbox/transfer/diff oils in the past. Much more fun as you can pretend it’s a squeezy fun bag stress toy :-)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (12th February 2018), TrollinAround (11th February 2018)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast