Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transfer case wind up?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in Phil’s specific situation Bill mate of say steep rocky Axle Hill on Burgoyne Track the need appears to be getting the vehicle to higher/safer/flatter ground before jacking any part of the truck off the track. I guess my theory is to disconnect front from rear via the hubs should quickly work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I think in Phil’s specific situation Bill mate of say steep rocky Axle Hill on Burgoyne Track the need appears to be getting the vehicle to higher/safer/flatter ground before jacking any part of the truck off the track. I guess my theory is to disconnect front from rear via the hubs should quickly work?

Didn't think of that, but by then the difflock compressor shit itself and was probably thinking of a number of things at the time. The 'incident' happened past axle hill, maybe a kilometer or so, one of the longer chewed out gnarly bits - track is a bit of a mess in places. I suspect the rear track would be worse. I think its time to replace these tyres and get back to a common diameter, even though they are all 32" but worn very differently.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    If you are really stuck the easiest way to release wind up is to jack up a wheel. I have had to do this on various vehicles during 4WD trips in the High Country.
    Bill, was not able to do this without risking the vehicle toppling off the hill - happened in one of those 'perfect storm' locations. If I could have lifted the vehicle safely I would have changed the tyreSANY0076.JPGSANY0077.JPG

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess driving in steep rough terrain but generally high traction rocky surface as typical in the high country with numerous switch backs and bends is perfect conditions for wind up as opposed to slippery stuff such as mud, snow sand. Not having too much of a dig (wink) but having more weight wouldn't help too with wind up. Sometimes massive switch backs switch to 2WD but not ideal if its a crazy steep track - definatly not recommended in this situation . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rossco, I will be the first to admit the barge is heavy, but I am now down to my last 500 coffee pods, so perhaps this situation will ease in the future, if weight is to be considered a factor (winky winky wink wink wink winky wink winky winky back at ya!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (11th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - It never happens on a flat, easily accessible surface! Mine are auto hubs so I can't disconnect them and have never tried on other vehicles - but wind up puts strain/force on the entire drive train and it would be interesting to find out if free wheeling hubs can easily be released?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good point Bill mate, they may become jammed too! No real way to test it I guess unless on the unfortunate day up there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12