Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer modification advice request

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 89gqpatrol4x4 View Post
    I think either idea will work, as you don’t want what happened to me on Friday.
    Went over a speed bump in the shopping centre and the passenger side leaf completely snapped, axel walked out to a 45 deg angle before I stopped! A bit of fun to get it to a point where I could move it.
    I badly wanna know the details of what lead to it mate, so I can learn from it to avoid any disasters as much as I can.
    Were you carrying lot of weight on the trailer than it could handle or the springs were simply old and worn out?
    Or were in no mood to slow down for the speed bump and caused it?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    It sounds as if the trailer isn't worth pouring money into, Dom. A large crate under the engine you intend to transport should spread the weight sufficiently. If you are still worried about the floor, maybe lay some timber under the crate too. I have used my old rusty 6x4 to carry some great loads from Bendigo to my place.
    It most certainly ain't worth pouring any money mate. That's why I built the cage around it with scraps except the two gal wire meshes that I had to buy which I am already regretting 'cos those $35 3mm meshes are crap and weak. Probably more suitable as chicken coops. I would've been better if I kept welding the pieces of thin steel bars that I have to mesh the cage, and all in all, it would have looked lot nicer cosmetically and lot stronger as well. I didn't wanna spend any money on the old trailer anymore than that 'cos I've already poured enough to get hold of new welding gear and pouring new gear into a rusty old trailer doesn't make sense when I can buy a new one if I put all that money together. I just enjoyed the hobby project when it doesn't cost me and arm and leg and a kidney.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    DOM, both will work but I would simply get another leaf or two and insert into the existing spring pack you have. That will increase their deflection resistance, but the thing might bounce around a bit more - unsure by how much.
    Hey Phil,
    I am not all that sure how to do that mate, but I will get some ideas by watching a guiding video or two.
    Cheers
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rusted out trailer just means you can carry more payload 'cause the Tare is less
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th February 2018), gaddy (5th February 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Hey Phil,
    I am not all that sure how to do that mate, but I will get some ideas by watching a guiding video or two.
    Cheers
    Dom, if you pulled the spring pack off the axle there usually is a centre bolt that clamps the spring pack together. This centre bolt also locates the springs relative to the axle. Un-doing the bolt allows the leaves to separate. What you then do is insert a couple of springs/leaves into the spring pack, but their length must cascade or be between the length of the spring they are wedged between,(like steps) then, you clamp the spring set back , might need a longer centre bolt, and the fun then begins as you can easily locate one end of the spring eye, but the spring pack is now stiffer, so you have to jink around to get the other end in the pivoting spring mount on the trailer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th February 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get some Mates around tip the bugger upside down !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tip12345 For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dom, have a look at this. I did look into a combo Coil over leaf spring setup for my 75 series troopy, and went and drove the demo vehicle set-up, very impressive, but what turned me away from it was the 6 leaf spring pack was reduced to 2 leaf springs and the coil was mounted over the axle. I was concerned about stress on the long leaves. I kid you not, this demo vehicle drove straight over gutters and roundabouts as if they were not there, but the question in my mind was for how long before the leaves broke.

Anyway, if you want to strengthen the leaf spring set, whack a couple of extra leaves in and thats it. Its a smash about trailer, not a rolls royce, so dont waste time trying to get the thing to ride like a helicopter. Attached is a sketch, you should be able to cobble something together. I think you are local to me, so if you want a hand on a weekend, PM me and we can get this sorted. Your springs just need to be the same width as what you have. Length doesn't matter as we can cut them dowm. The centre bolt is usually a HT unit, but really a gr 4.6 would do and you can hand grind the head as well.DSC01991.JPG

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    get some Mates around tip the bugger upside down !
    Absolutely! If I can tip the bastard over, I can do lot of good work on it.
    I was toying with the idea of using a tree with some block and tackle or using an engine crane.
    Now, couple of heavy muscled mates with enough cans of beer can also do the same thing.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Dom, have a look at this. I did look into a combo Coil over leaf spring setup for my 75 series troopy, and went and drove the demo vehicle set-up, very impressive, but what turned me away from it was the 6 leaf spring pack was reduced to 2 leaf springs and the coil was mounted over the axle. I was concerned about stress on the long leaves. I kid you not, this demo vehicle drove straight over gutters and roundabouts as if they were not there, but the question in my mind was for how long before the leaves broke.

Anyway, if you want to strengthen the leaf spring set, whack a couple of extra leaves in and thats it. Its a smash about trailer, not a rolls royce, so dont waste time trying to get the thing to ride like a helicopter. Attached is a sketch, you should be able to cobble something together. I think you are local to me, so if you want a hand on a weekend, PM me and we can get this sorted. Your springs just need to be the same width as what you have. Length doesn't matter as we can cut them dowm. The centre bolt is usually a HT unit, but really a gr 4.6 would do and you can hand grind the head as well.DSC01991.JPG
    Thanx heaps for the diagram mate. Now, I have some idea.
    I'll have a crack at it and if get confused I'll give you a buzz.
    I have your number somewhere here.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by dom14; 10th February 2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: grammar
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey bud,

I'm in the similar boat to you, except I went a little out of the way and spent some money
    - New LED lights
    - Leaf over Axle conversion, make it sit higher and move level with the Patrol. Had to buy new U bolts the other ones snapped when I took them off.
    - Repainted whole trailer.
    - Added toolbox to the drawbar.

Next week, got an uncle helping me attach a canopy/roof tent on top, his gonna build me a steel cage to go over and just clip on, so it can be removed when not used.
    2012 GU8 Patrol 3.0L

ECU Remap | 3" Exhaust | Nissan factory Bullbar | IPF Spotties | EFS Suspension 2" Lift | 33" BFG Mud Tyres w/ Sunraysias | Titan Rear Draws | Roof Rack | Redarc gauges | Roof lights | ----------- Coming Soon, UHF mounted to Outback Roof Console, Kaymar rear bar and HPD Series 2 Intercooler.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJ For This Useful Post:

dom14 (10th February 2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast