Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer modification advice request

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday DOM...

Its got slipper springs mate you may have wear on top of the sliding section...Would be a bad move to load these up more than they are...they just grind right through your chassis rails (make sure you check em) Therea are trailer parts out there that will rate to 1200kgs that cost less than $200 for a full new kit.

If you go with just inserting leafs then make sure you reinforce the slipping section at the other end...if it wears through your gonna be up for more than a new spring

I chopped a set off and old hilux chassis and retrofitted them over a few weekends... shocks and all
    Quad-Drive 4WD Club...Western Australia

We're all here coz we ain't all there...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB TD42 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (10th February 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    Hey bud,

I'm in the similar boat to you, except I went a little out of the way and spent some money
    - New LED lights
    - Leaf over Axle conversion, make it sit higher and move level with the Patrol. Had to buy new U bolts the other ones snapped when I took them off.
    - Repainted whole trailer.
    - Added toolbox to the drawbar.

Next week, got an uncle helping me attach a canopy/roof tent on top, his gonna build me a steel cage to go over and just clip on, so it can be removed when not used.
    Hey mate,

I bought few LED lights ages ago for the van, but never bothered to fit them, but will do soon.
    I did the leaf over axle conversion for the van 'cos I didn't have a choice. It was way too low and the chassis was hitting the gutter between the curb and road when go over. That was years ago. The van has been bit bumpy ever since. It was more stable when lower, but there was always a risk of hitting something due to lack of ground clearance.

The old rust bucket trailer that I just moded to be a useful one has been way too much labour. It was a hobby project, otherwise all the time would have been a huge waste and loss I spent on it. Labour wise, it would've been cheaper to get the pieces of steel from a supplier and the trailer axle kit and build it from scratch, but restoring an old rust bucket does come with some aesthetic rewards for the mind.

Cllip on cage was out of question in my case 'cos I wanted it pretty high, and as high as it could go safely. So, mine is the highest 8x5 cage trailer I've ever seen and also strange looking with all the bits and pieces of scrap metal I used to build the cage. It is way too heavy and big to be able to put on and remove when necessary, so it had to be a fixed one.
    Cost was minimal but the time spent was big.

Now, I had strengthened the floor and springs to be able to handle the weight I am planning to put on it on semi-regular basis.
    I just noticed the trailer coupling is weak(some cracks) and too loose when coupled and makes way too much noise from the play.
    I'm not too sure whether I can repair that(noise wise) so considering cutting it off and welding a brand new one.

I have a big tool box and yet to be added & yet to be sprayed. I haven't made up my mind which color, but thinking blue 'cos it
    makes the highway cops happy for some reason.

Trailer is so high, it won't fit into any typical garage, but I am happy with it 'cos I can fit lot of high and long crap into it.

Next project for me is to build a dual axle heavy duty larger trailer(without a cage to start with) and that will take some time.
    Last edited by dom14; 10th February 2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Addendum, grammar & spellings.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB TD42 View Post
    Gday DOM...

Its got slipper springs mate you may have wear on top of the sliding section...Would be a bad move to load these up more than they are...they just grind right through your chassis rails (make sure you check em) Therea are trailer parts out there that will rate to 1200kgs that cost less than $200 for a full new kit.

If you go with just inserting leafs then make sure you reinforce the slipping section at the other end...if it wears through your gonna be up for more than a new spring

I chopped a set off and old hilux chassis and retrofitted them over a few weekends... shocks and all

I'm thinking ether by myself using block and tackle method or using couple of heavy muscled mates to flip over the trailer to the side and get a good close look, clean the spring and assess the condition closely. Then decide whether to put new heavy duty leaf spring kit if I feel it's worth it, and if not just slide in an extra leaf or two as Phil(@PeeBee)suggested. I'll see how I go and keep you guys updated with the 'massive' project.
    Last edited by dom14; 10th February 2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: grammar & spellings(as always)
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    Hey bud,

I'm in the similar boat to you, except I went a little out of the way and spent some money
    - New LED lights
    - Leaf over Axle conversion, make it sit higher and move level with the Patrol. Had to buy new U bolts the other ones snapped when I took them off.
    - Repainted whole trailer.
    - Added toolbox to the drawbar.

Next week, got an uncle helping me attach a canopy/roof tent on top, his gonna build me a steel cage to go over and just clip on, so it can be removed when not used.

Hey mate,

Can you please PM me a photo of that canopy/roof tent thing on top the trailer? Or if ok, you can post it here as well.
    I'll send you a PM as well.
    Thanx
    Cheers
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123