Thread: UHF CB Novice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UHF CB Novice

Hi guys
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I知 new to the world of CB radios. My son installed my icom radio finally and she works just fine.
    I知 just wondering what to do when I知 just driving around and not in a group or convoy etc. do I leave the radio in open scan mode and listen out for what other conversations are going on in my vicinity? Just wondering what other folks do. And if you guys have any tips for a newbie I壇 be grateful to receive them.
    Cheers
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,984 Times in 3,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate,
    I leave my CB off except when travelling.
    If travelling with a group we pick a channel and all stay on it to chat.
    When travelling on my own I will put it on 40 to listen and chat to the truckies and call them when overtaking, will also switch it to channels shown on back of caravans to call them when overtaking.
    On some tracks they ask you to stay on a specified channel so you can hear and talk to others on the same track.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Perkins58 (5th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually have mine on scan most of the time. There are a few narrow bridges in my area & truckies call when they are approaching them on channel 40 & I have that set as the priority channel.

Some of the State Forests that are regularly logged will have a designated channel to monitor for logging trucks & some roads have signs every 5 kms along them. Good practice on these roads to send a call on the designated channel - "South on Bobs Rd at the 24 km marker" for example to give other drivers a bit of warning.

List of Channel Allocations - http://www.uhfcb.com.au/80-Channel-UHF-Information.php
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

Perkins58 (5th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys
    Very good advice. I知 beginning to wonder about the merits of leaving the radio switched off or not scanning all channels. Some of the carry on on a couple of them is colourful to say the least. Certainly wouldn稚 want any of the family listening to that! I sure one of the repeater channels in my area is run out of a house of ill repute!
    Good idea to call out position on the logging roads too. I think I will leave my priority channel ad 40. Thank very much for the link VK.
    Cheers
    Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perkins58 For This Useful Post:

VK2FMIA (6th February 2018)