Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of power in my 2.8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loss of power in my 2.8

Under moderate power around 2700 rpm. The seems to loose boost or something. It becomes very slow and wont pick up much speed. If u back off a bit and reaccelerate it will go fine again and sometimes cut out again. Bit of a pain of ur going around a road train or going up a hill. It starts to do this around town as well.
    1998 2.8l Turbo Diesel Patrol Wagon, Bullbar, Towbar, Spotties, Snorkel, Oricom UHF, 2 1/2" Dobinson lift

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked the air filter? Is it blowing smoke when doing this?

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar problem - when pushed hard/very accelerator pedal car is not accelerating, but the car is drowning (choke - I do not know which word to use). If you press the pedal lightly and submit gas gradually, then the car starts to accelerate. This bothers me a little when overtaking another vehicle - not enough power or lose power.
    As a solution to the problem of the service I was told to spew oil into the fuel.

So I now read about a 2t oil in the fuel, and will try it when next filling up the car with fuel.
    GR; Y61; 1998; RD28TDI; MANUAL TRANSMISSION;

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the air filter is reasonably new. Its like the turbo just stops making boost you can back off and feed it again some times it will go well others it will cut out again. It start s about half throttle its just been bugging me for awhile. It does soot intermitently from time to time, but not always. Some days it wont soot a great deal and others it will leave clouds of soot
    Last edited by Major Black; 10th May 2011 at 08:03 PM.
    1998 2.8l Turbo Diesel Patrol Wagon, Bullbar, Towbar, Spotties, Snorkel, Oricom UHF, 2 1/2" Dobinson lift

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know much about Diesels but sound maybe blocked injectors or fuel pump maybe or stickky or faulty choke ???? just as a starting point i would be looking at Good Luck

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds to me like it is a sticky waste gate on your turbo. mine did this for a while. i pulled the turbo down and cleaned all the sut out (and the oil). this free'd up the wastegate and it then functioned properly again. if you are on the fly and need a quick fix, just spray some WD40 onto the wastegate shaft that goes into the exhaust pipe.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you checked the fuel filter ? mine was on the dyno the other day and at higher revs was sucking in air through an O ring, re-assembled the fuel filter assembly and all OK again.
    2004 ST GU4 TD42Ti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine problem is gone - changed the clutch and the air filter. After 1 mount changed fuel filter, oil filter, and 2 air filters. The troll is as new.
    GR; Y61; 1998; RD28TDI; MANUAL TRANSMISSION;

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI
    i am haveing the same problem did you find out what the problem was

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same

Sounds like the problem I’m having. Managed to capture it on video - https://youtu.be/C4Q-OMPUxm4

Of you accelerate hard it’ll go to 12-13psi and pull pretty well. But then suddenly drop off to 10psi and the car becomes gutless, struggling to gain any speed above 80kmh.

If you let your foot off, let the boost drop and then put your foot back down again runs well until the boost cut kicks in again. You can see in the video I do it 3 times.

My guess is that it’s MAF related as I have a cheap eBay maf, 2 months old and was playing with the airbox earlier today and only since then had the problem started. Could just need a clean, plugs need a clean or to be replaced with a better one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast