Thread: Screw in tent pegs

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Screw in tent pegs

Anybody have any experience with these screw in tent pegs? Carrying a drill is no issue for me. After losing a majority of my good tent pegs in the wild storm at the meetup the other night I'm looking for replacements.
    I can see these working great for the awning ropes on the camper trailer but not sure how it would go pegging the tent to the ground. Can't see how that would work to be honest as the tent is pegged down with big steel rings, regular pegs work well but even big heavy duty ones come loose in soft ground.

https://peggypeg.com.au

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a bag of 'em (Peggy Pegs) in assorted sizes and lengths.
    Over 5 years old now and I've munted a couple
    They are goddam expensive but they certainly have good holding power in most soils and compact to medium sand.
    If you get 'em in as a pressy, a promo or as a bulk buy it helps $ wise.
    The "Fix and Go Kit" is better for annex etc and anything sandy.

IMHO this is the best of the Screw In Sand Pegs https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-500mm...4AAOSwXxhaE3qU

... and FWIW ( I know they aren't screw ins but) nothing beats small star irons or angle irons with an eye welded in the 'V' (cheap if you make 'em yourself but like these) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Supa-Peg...cAAOSwNnRYhW8w

Biggest and best trick for windy conditions in soft soil or sandy areas is to damp the guys to the pegs so they don't get 'jerked about.

I also carry 1/2 a dozen sandbags for a variety of reasons, one of which is weight for guy ropes.
    I can guarantee a full sand bag on the guy ropes right at the peg and yours will be the last tent/annex/gazebo to take flight.
    Same principle as a 200 ton anchor and chain holding a 20,000 ton ship, damp out the load with a weight so the load doesn't dislodge the anchor and you aren't going anywhere.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 28th January 2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your 2nd eBay link there is the same as your 1st. I just realised that the Vic 4wd show has moved to half an hour from home and is in a few weeks so I might have a look around while there and see what is available.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At ET mentioned theses angle ones work great, even in sand.
    Mine are around 400mm and work well in average depth sand but I have seen these longer as well
    In normal dirt, nothing will pull these out

................on the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Your 2nd eBay link there is the same as your 1st. I just realised that the Vic 4wd show has moved to half an hour from home and is in a few weeks so I might have a look around while there and see what is available.

My bad... should be sorted now.
    Essentially what Maxhead posted.

Up in the Territory we would buy a few 6 metre lengths of black angle from BHP and a couple of metres of chain, cut 'em into 30 cm and 50 cm lengths, cut every 3rd chain link in 1/2, others left as 2 links, weld the 1/2 links or one of the double onto the pegs and have enough for a season for a few of us.

Reason we had to make so many?... they could be bastards to get out... when that happened we would wack 'em in further and abandon them.
    That way no one tripped over them or spiked tyres and black angle rusted away after a couple of years anyway

You could even use a few of the 50's as impro anchors to winch bogged 4X's
    Last edited by the evil twin; 28th January 2018 at 08:20 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.