Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine oil temp

Hey there

Installed oil temp gauge the other day, just wondering what the oil temp should be???
    driving along the freeway it was siting on between 110-120c!!
    Not sure if that's ok or not?? the day was about 33c

nissan patrol 3.0L RB30E PETROL

The water temp is always on half during driving never pretty much moves off half

i DO notice on my oil pressure gauge when starting cold the pressure is around 50-60psi then when it heats up it drops to a to around 20psi when idling
    i am using full synthetic penrite oil,, not the cheaper stuff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Factory Gauge always says half - mine does too. my extra gauges ( Water temp ) reads 85c to 90c (oil temp) reads the same, just takes a little longer down the road to get there regards Alex
    Last edited by altech; 28th January 2018 at 03:59 PM.
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oil Temp gauge accuracy sounds a bit suss.

Take the sender out and pop it in a cup of boiling water or, if you have another thermometer, water that you know the temp of up around 80 to 90 degrees and check the gauge accuracy
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ok no probs i'll give it a check

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by typo368 View Post
    Hey there

Installed oil temp gauge the other day, just wondering what the oil temp should be???
    driving along the freeway it was siting on between 110-120c!!
    Not sure if that's ok or not?? the day was about 33c

nissan patrol 3.0L RB30E PETROL

The water temp is always on half during driving never pretty much moves off half

i DO notice on my oil pressure gauge when starting cold the pressure is around 50-60psi then when it heats up it drops to a to around 20psi when idling
    i am using full synthetic penrite oil,, not the cheaper stuff
    It's the first time I've ever heard about an oil temp gauge in an RB30 Patrol. Obviously an aftermarket one, but I thought it's not necessary for petrol engines like RB30, even though yours is an apparent EFI conversion one.

The stock oil pressure gauge is notoriously unreliable after many many years of oil gunk getting stuck in the tiny oil hole on the sender. RB30 oil pressure sender & oil pressure warning switch is a single unit.
    What you can do is to take it out and spray some carby cleaner into the oil entry hole and they blow some compressed air.
    That will clean up the gunk and get it to function normally again. It's a far better solution than buying a new one for $130, which is a rip off, but that's way it is 'cos it s a pressure sender + pressure switch.

AFAICT, oil temperature should get higher than typical highest coolant temperature.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach