Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting my patrol 1991 GQY60 in good nick

Hi guys

After getting charged $1800 by a mechanic to replace my radiator and hoses, I'm set on doing as much as I can myself. I just have some questions that I need some help with please

1) Radiator expansion tank

The one that came with the patrol looked like this:
    burnedexpansion_tank.pngpaddynewexpansiontank.png

I've replaced it with a new one that I order from patrol apart and topped up with coolant (I don't have an 'as installed photo):
    paddynewexpansiontank.png

Question is - is the clear tube meant to be connected to nothing? I assume it's so that air can get in to allow coolant to flow in and out.

2) Windscreen washers

Mine don't work. I had the aforementioned mechanic look at them and he reckons the motors are gone. There is voltage coming in though.

I'm going to buy this
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wiper-Wa...sAAOSwPK1ZVMR~
    I presume it's easy enough to install? If the lines are blocked, with the blow the motors if I try and use them?

3) See photo below. There are holes in it, I don't know what it's called, but it seem to be an air intake of some description.
    20180121_162259.jpg
    I taped up the lower bit with the silver heat resistant tape (it probably ins't airtight, but an improvement, but the top black bit I can't do anything about. Can someone please explain to me what these component are, and if I can easily replace them myself. Since that big hose runs into the air filter, I suppose I should get a new air filter too. Any recommendations? The manual says there are two types, one which must be cleaned occasionally and one which must be replaced occasionally.

Thanks,
    Paddy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Yes the clear placcy hose is normally only a breather, you can extend and/or direct it wherever you want.
    Keep in mind if the coolant blows over due to overheating it will come out this hose.
    You can usually ditch the placcy hose and reuse the rubber hose off the old tank if it isn't perished.

2. Simple job but you may have to remove the Battery to get at one of the mounts.
    Just replace the whole assy and you will usually find the washers will work.
    If they are blocked pop the hose off at the jets, purge and if water flows there then the jets are blocked and a bit of fine wire or needle will usually clear them

3. IIRC the hose you taped with silver tape is used to draw warm air if needed it is controlled by that circular device directly above it.
    The larger intake hose should be replaced.
    Simple job, you should be able to do it yourself quite easily
    Last edited by the evil twin; 24th January 2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate for your response.

On the third item, for the life of me I cannot find this part anywhere for my model. I don't suppose you could help me with a part number? Or maybe there's something I could do with Ag pipe from Bunnings?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
    Since that big hose runs into the air filter, I suppose I should get a new air filter too. Any recommendations? The manual says there are two types, one which must be cleaned occasionally and one which must be replaced occasionally.

Thanks,
    Paddy
    The 'first' is a cyclone style pre-cleaner, that should just need a clean every now and then depending on conditions.
    The 'second' is a standard type of air filter at the Carby, that one is normally paper style and can't be cleaned and should need replacement when dirty.
    I don't replace filters on a 'klm's travelled' or 'time' basis I clean or replace them on inspection IE it depends on the filter and it depends on whether there has been a lot of dusty roads/terrain.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (24th January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant, thanks mate.

For the air filter, is this what I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GQ-Y60-Pa...EAAOSwRQlXee5l

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dunno mate... I've never owned a Carby TB42, mine was Efi.

Looks like the right one if your Air Filter is the oval type, if not post up pic I s'pose

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the belts just behind the fan, there's a pair of them. They are looking frayed and I think I should replace them.

Is this what I'm looking for?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fan-Belt-...-/111876385812

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you downloaded the workshop manual yet?

It will have a lot of questions answered for you before you even know you want to ask them

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Service-Manual
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...orkshop-Manual

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

PaddyD (29th January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this wasn't rocket science, but it's the first bit of work I've done on the Patrol so I'm chuffed. I didn't really till I took it out how bad condition it was in! In the as installed position it just looked cracked.

At the square end of the duct there was a delpidated material around the connection joint, maybe for increased airtightness. It was so badly deteriorated I couldn't tell what it was, any idea so I can reinstate and reinstall the duct?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast