OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy a Patrol - questions, questions, questions!!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to buy a Patrol - questions, questions, questions!!!

Hey gurus - I'm hoping that the collective wisdom might be of some help here!! I have gone through quite a few forum threads in the various areas looking for answers and I now have a much better knowledge than I started with but still have lots of questions. I am definitely looking for a diesel and I also want a manual. Initially I was thinking that the 4.2TD would be the way to go but in all honesty I don't think that I can really justify it as a "need" as I don't plan on towing anything bigger than a camper trailer and I'm not sure that the $10k or so premium will be worth it or not. So in no particular order, here are some of the questions that I haven't been able to nail down yet from the forums and I would really appreciate any advice/information:

1. I've read a bit about the early problems for the 3.0TD engine but would like a definitive answer on which year Nissan sorted this out?

2. 3" exhaust and dump valve seem to be pretty popular along with a re-tune (either ECU reflash or additional chip) but I've also seen some posts about issues with smoke and EGT getting too high. I'm OK with the concept of doing this but I know that Euro 4 emission regulations came in for diesel engines in about 2006 or so - I assume that models after this had EGR to achieve Euro 4 and would be harder to modify? Which model would have been the first one with EGR and can you still do the same mods on these models??

3. 2 inch lift kit vs 33 inch tyres. I would like a little bit of extra ground clearance but I don't think that I need both of these mods - if you had to pick one of these mods which one would it be and why?? I'm initially leaning towards the 2" lift to avoid issues with speedo accuracy but would be keen to hear the collective wisdom.

4. Dual batteries. Keen to get this and hopefully I can pick up a vehicle with it already fitted. However, what's a ballpark $ figure for a decent dual battery system?

5. I can't seem to find a reference to the different specifications and what they offer (e.g. DX, RX, ST, etc) - anybody know where one of these is located?

6. CB Radio. I had one of these in my VB commodore in the early 90s (pre-mobile phones) but have not had one since then. I assume that they are worth having out in remote locations - how much use do you guys actually get out of them?

7. What's the U-bolt hook above the tow bar on some vehicles for? It's clearly not a rated recovery point and I've wondered for years what they are for?

8. I know it's not a question that can be answered definitively but how many km would you expect to get out of a 3.0TD engine? I'm assuming that if I get something with under 200k on it that I will get many more years out of it without too many dramas? What sort of kms are you guys up to and would you expect less engine life for an engine that has had exhaust and tune modifications?

9. I haven't found anything on fuel/water separators - do the Patrols have one as a standard fit? Is it recommended to fit an aftermarket one?

Like a similar post recently by Jiggy I am also debating whether to go for something with relatively few modifications and then do the ones I need myself vs getting something that is already tricked up. On the one hand I consider that potentially a vehicle that has been modified might have been worked pretty hard (i.e. to make use of the modifications) but on the other hand if it's an enthusiast who has modified it then they have probably looked after it well anyway. I am also trying to work out if I am better off going for an older/cheaper vehicle (say a 2003 model) or spending a bit more and going with say a 2008 model.

Anyway, apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance for any answers!!

Cheers,

Gags

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gags View Post
    Hey gurus - I'm hoping that the collective wisdom might be of some help here!! I have gone through quite a few forum threads in the various areas looking for answers and I now have a much better knowledge than I started with but still have lots of questions. I am definitely looking for a diesel and I also want a manual. Initially I was thinking that the 4.2TD would be the way to go but in all honesty I don't think that I can really justify it as a "need" as I don't plan on towing anything bigger than a camper trailer and I'm not sure that the $10k or so premium will be worth it or not. So in no particular order, here are some of the questions that I haven't been able to nail down yet from the forums and I would really appreciate any advice/information:

1. I've read a bit about the early problems for the 3.0TD engine but would like a definitive answer on which year Nissan sorted this out?

2. 3" exhaust and dump valve seem to be pretty popular along with a re-tune (either ECU reflash or additional chip) but I've also seen some posts about issues with smoke and EGT getting too high. I'm OK with the concept of doing this but I know that Euro 4 emission regulations came in for diesel engines in about 2006 or so - I assume that models after this had EGR to achieve Euro 4 and would be harder to modify? Which model would have been the first one with EGR and can you still do the same mods on these models??

3. 2 inch lift kit vs 33 inch tyres. I would like a little bit of extra ground clearance but I don't think that I need both of these mods - if you had to pick one of these mods which one would it be and why?? I'm initially leaning towards the 2" lift to avoid issues with speedo accuracy but would be keen to hear the collective wisdom.

4. Dual batteries. Keen to get this and hopefully I can pick up a vehicle with it already fitted. However, what's a ballpark $ figure for a decent dual battery system?

5. I can't seem to find a reference to the different specifications and what they offer (e.g. DX, RX, ST, etc) - anybody know where one of these is located?

6. CB Radio. I had one of these in my VB commodore in the early 90s (pre-mobile phones) but have not had one since then. I assume that they are worth having out in remote locations - how much use do you guys actually get out of them?

7. What's the U-bolt hook above the tow bar on some vehicles for? It's clearly not a rated recovery point and I've wondered for years what they are for?

8. I know it's not a question that can be answered definitively but how many km would you expect to get out of a 3.0TD engine? I'm assuming that if I get something with under 200k on it that I will get many more years out of it without too many dramas? What sort of kms are you guys up to and would you expect less engine life for an engine that has had exhaust and tune modifications?

9. I haven't found anything on fuel/water separators - do the Patrols have one as a standard fit? Is it recommended to fit an aftermarket one?

Like a similar post recently by Jiggy I am also debating whether to go for something with relatively few modifications and then do the ones I need myself vs getting something that is already tricked up. On the one hand I consider that potentially a vehicle that has been modified might have been worked pretty hard (i.e. to make use of the modifications) but on the other hand if it's an enthusiast who has modified it then they have probably looked after it well anyway. I am also trying to work out if I am better off going for an older/cheaper vehicle (say a 2003 model) or spending a bit more and going with say a 2008 model.

Anyway, apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance for any answers!!

Cheers,

Gags
    Hey mate hope this helps.

1 - from series 3 on (about 2002), still worth doings a nads set up anyway. Catch can is a must.

2 - as far as I know all the 3ltr gu’s had an egr valve, I think for the common rails it was water cooled though (might be wrong). Most people just block them off. A blanking plate is about $15.
    Upgrade your intercooler before you put an exhaust in.

3 - iv got both, looked a bit funny having the lift with stock tyres so when it came time to get new tyres I fitted 33s. I’d say start with the two inch lift.

4 - for a red arc system roughly $800-$1000 fitted. Could probably diy the same kit for around $500.

5 - dx is base model, wind down windows, vinyl floor not carpet and manual hubs. St is next, electric windows, carpet, auto locking hubs. St L has leather etc.

6 - depends on where you go and how often

7 - dno

8 - can only tell you from my experience, mine did the head gasket at 280000, had it rebuilt and now has 345000.

9 - just a normal fuel filter. Light comes on when there is water in it. I change mine every 5000.

Completely up to you with what you buy. I brought stock and it’s cost me a lot to get it where I wanted. Something mildly done up would be the go, eg bullbar, dual battery kit, possibly lift kit.
    Good luck with the search! Mines for sale if your looking for a nice one! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

Big Gags (21st January 2018), GQtdauto (21st January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with above ^^^^ and will only add...

6. If you aren't sure then buy a Handheld as it will still be useful if you want a vehicle one anyway

7. Factory Vehicle Recovery Point - BEWARE as it is unrated and hard to inspect and is NOT for Snatch Recovery

I don't know your budget but for the ZD30 I would try and get a CRD (Series V onwards or 2007 or later)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 21st January 2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Big Gags (21st January 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with everything mentioned so far except for the grenade issue. The zd30 got better after 2003 but the fix was the CRD engine that came in 2007.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Big Gags (21st January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if ya want a ute,DX Grunt has one set up ready to go...
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    if ya want a ute,DX Grunt has one set up ready to go...
    And never been off road. A bargain at 2K.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (22nd January 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Avo but I'm after a wagon. Saw one on Gumtree that I thought was looking pretty good but when I contacted the guy last night he got back to me today and said that it's "not really for sale any more" and he wasn't aware that it was still on Gumtree?? Sounds like he and his missus like the car too much to let it go - pity as it pretty much had everything on it that I was looking for!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gags For This Useful Post:

Avo (24th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    And never been off road. A bargain at 2K.
    you just hurt his one and only feeling...nasty pasty
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (24th January 2018), Touses (23rd January 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a look at a 2012 GU 8 today. Was in reasonable condition although was originally a firetruck in the Pilbara and so it had a big cable gland in the rear right of the roof (where cable for light bar went through), dual spare tyre carriers, factory bullbar, dual battery system (had a big manual switch in the passenger footwell to switch between either the batteries connected together (for charging both at once) or manually select either battery - not sure of the brand of it and I would have thought that everything would have been automatic like the Red Arc controllers these days??

Anyway, what's the concencus on the more modern versions of the GU? Is it worth going for a later model (such as 2012) or are there advantages of going for one of the earlier ones (say 2008/9)? I'm sure I heard somewhere that the front axle changed out to a lower spec at some stage around about 2009 but I don't know enough about it to be sure.

We went for a drive and everything seemed to be pretty tight - is there anything that I should be looking at specifically apart from looking for obvious damage or faults? I did notice that the steering seemed to be pretty detached from the road (felt like lots of power assist and not much feedback although I came out of my Forester which is obviously a bit more road oriented). Once again, any further advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Gags

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah - the guy's asking $28k for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast