Thread: 4cyl vs 6cyl 4WD

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4cyl vs 6cyl 4WD

I've been researching for a few days now about wether copping a 4cyl or 6cyl 4WD is better?! There's pros and cons for both but wanted to get your opinion and suggestions for specific but mostly basic questions where i can't seem to find it being answered directly!

1). Which would be better for Off-Roading in General, Steep Hills, Beach, Semi Tough Terrain, Towing (Jet ski, camping gear etc) and Highway use ?

2). Fuel Consumption? Now usually 4cyl uses less fuel due to the size BUT i read that the weight of the vehicle might mean the motor has to work harder which means it will most likely be using more fuel than a 6cyl

3). Would a bigger engine generally mean more maintenance (Oils changes etc)

4). I heard with 4cyl 3.0L GUs blow out around 250,000KM + due to fuel overfilling and other issues? Is this true, if so would it be better to invest a little extra on a 4.2L/4.8L 6cyl

5). In general which would be better all round, 4cyl Nissan Patrol or 6cyl Nissan Patrol (I understand 2000-2003 models aren't the best mechanically?!)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argument for the ages mate and one that's been well discussed here many times .
    Our 2002 GU 3 litre is still going after about 350thousand clicks has pulled a 2.5 tonne van round Oz three times , fuel was around 18-20 Per 100 towing .
    Our 4.2 TdGq does not rev as much or as hard to do the same work but fuel consumption in mine is shockers , under load you need a certain amount of rpm to stop the motor from labouring.
    In short those of us that have wheezing four potters are happy and those with the 4.2td are happy but like to stir the four potter owners.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jiggy,

I have had both, and I loved my old 4.2 6 cylinder Diesel, and I love my 3.0L.

Both have their strong points, and for my usage, fuel economy is a little better with the 3.0L 4 cylinder .....

Off Road - 4.2L Hands Down, but my 3.0L goes everywhere it went too
    On Road - 3.0L, but the 4.2L got there too.

I bought the newer Diesel due to the 10K Servicing, rather than 5K, and have never been unhappy after 16 years of owning them ( after the shock and dismay of my first 4wd trip where I kept stalling it again and again and again - trying to drive the same way I used to with the old 4.2 )

The 4.2 and the 3.0 are both incredibly strong engines, as even the 3.0L ones that have had piston issues display great signs otherwise internally, with the rest of the internals in great condition.

The only real issues with the 3.0L seem to be either Piston related ( holes in pistons, and that seems to be a common problem across a lot manufacturers and the newer more powerful engines that run hotter to create less pollution ), cracks in the head between the valve seat and the glow plug, cracked EGR Pipe, or warped exhaust manifold.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a td42 and is great awesome in the bush will chug away up most cliffs with ease but not as happy on the highway, although hopefully better with new turbo going on it soon. It's done 360 thou and still going strong.

Old man has a 3ltr Di 350 thou on the clock and still like new even has original clutch which feels perfect. That thing has towed an off road van all over the country with out a problem and all standard. Cruises beautifully on the road may have to go a bit slower up big hills towing but does well.

So both very good with pros & cons. 3 litres do have more of a reputation for failures but plenty of them out there without a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (11th January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Argument for the ages mate and one that's been well discussed here many times .
    Our 2002 GU 3 litre is still going after about 350thousand clicks has pulled a 2.5 tonne van round Oz three times , fuel was around 18-20 Per 100 towing .
    Our 4.2 TdGq does not rev as much or as hard to do the same work but fuel consumption in mine is shockers , under load you need a certain amount of rpm to stop the motor from labouring.
    In short those of us that have wheezing four potters are happy and those with the 4.2td are happy but like to stir the four potter owners.
    ahaha cheers for that mate

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Jiggy,

I have had both, and I loved my old 4.2 6 cylinder Diesel, and I love my 3.0L.

Both have their strong points, and for my usage, fuel economy is a little better with the 3.0L 4 cylinder .....

Off Road - 4.2L Hands Down, but my 3.0L goes everywhere it went too
    On Road - 3.0L, but the 4.2L got there too.

I bought the newer Diesel due to the 10K Servicing, rather than 5K, and have never been unhappy after 16 years of owning them ( after the shock and dismay of my first 4wd trip where I kept stalling it again and again and again - trying to drive the same way I used to with the old 4.2 )

The 4.2 and the 3.0 are both incredibly strong engines, as even the 3.0L ones that have had piston issues display great signs otherwise internally, with the rest of the internals in great condition.

The only real issues with the 3.0L seem to be either Piston related ( holes in pistons, and that seems to be a common problem across a lot manufacturers and the newer more powerful engines that run hotter to create less pollution ), cracks in the head between the valve seat and the glow plug, cracked EGR Pipe, or warped exhaust manifold.
    I was looking at a 2008 GU Patrol 4cyl over a 1996 or 2004 GU 6cyl 4.2L due to the fact that if it can get to the same places as a 4.2L and use less fuel then it would be ideal?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I was looking at a 2008 GU Patrol 4cyl over a 1996 or 2004 GU 6cyl 4.2L due to the fact that if it can get to the same places as a 4.2L and use less fuel then it would be ideal?!
    Drive both, and see what you prefer.

2008 is CRD, so I would jump on one of these if that is what you are after. They are incredibly capable, go anywhere, and don't seem to have the inherent problems of the earlier 3L Di's. The only problem I have heard of with the early CRD's is that some of the motors had Oil Pump Bolts that were assembled with a lack of loctite on the bolts, and they rattle loose causing the oil to recirculate in the sump rather than pumping around the engine ... not good, but it was only a small batch, and you would think that if it was going to happen, it would have done it by now.....

The fuel use difference between the two is minor, half a litre to one litre per hundred - $1.50 per hundred K's, so I wouldn't pick one or the other based solely on Fuel usage.

For me, the 10K Servicing rather than 5K saves $100 per 10,000, plus whatever charge for Labour Time, for the Oil Change, so there is a cost saving there ( $230 if you had Nissan do it ).

My normal driving is Vic High Country stuff, and the CRD does it with relative ease once you learn the engines strengths and weaknesses. The old 4.2 will lope along, and do stuff a little slower and easier, whereas the CRD needs to be kept around 2000rpm to keep it in its best torque range. I travel a lot with a 4.2Turbo Landcruiser, and we do all the same tracks, do all the same hills, cover all the same ground, and in some ways ( due to the awesome Nissan LSD in the rear ) mine does it easier with less wheel spin and comfort over the Cruiser ... I have often had people watching from the outside, and they comment how easy mine seems to go over the same obstacles.
    The Patrol 4.2 was like a tractor, and just kept chugging along - and I loved that type of power delivery for tricky terrain - we had that Patrol for 12 years it was so good, but again, now I am used to the CRD, I am not sitting here desperately wishing for my old truck to return.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Aquarian51 (12th January 2018)