Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gday to all new bloke here

Starting problem with GQ 60 diesel .
    Have replaced the starter motor thinking this was it , charged a new battery to 13volts ,same problem ,just clicks no crank . if any one has /knows the problem your help is very valuable .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate , not much of an intro but sounds like your having some trouble .
    Charging a battery to 13 volts means very little as to the state of battery and battery connections , to me it sounds like a dirty / corroded wire or connection at the battery or the battery itself .
    Chances of buying a faulty starter motor would be minimal if new but not impossible .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mate , yeah not the big intro i know ,but put some thing on the intro bit ....
    yes new starter motor and battery fitted ,looked at all wires and seem to be okay but untested as yet ,chased the black yellow
    Was thinking maybe a solenoid / relay problem or even ignition barrel ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is away of running a Hotwire from battery to starter but Ive got no idea how so hopefully someone will be along to help you out .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate. If you are confident in the starter motor and battery, try running a jumper lead from the block or the starter motor case to the neg battery terminal and try to start the truck. If that improves the problem you have a high resistance earth connection between the engine and the battery. If no improvement, try a jumper from the +ve connection to +ve on the starter motor. Connect to the starter motor end first and tap it onthe battery terminal. If that works you have a solenoid issue. You may be able to put that +ve jumper to the +ve terminal into the solenoid and operate the solenoid by using a smaller guage jumper wire to the trigger terminal on the solenoid. i am not sure of the layout on that vehicle but someone else will help out here soon. Try that jumper earth connection though.
    It is probably worth turning the lights on and then trying to crank the starter. If te lights go dim then you probably have a bad earth connection or a bad battery, maybe high resistance internally. Probably not the ignition barrel, as that will only switch low current to the solenoid. If that was faulty you probably would not get the "click". Sounds like the ign switch is operating the solenoid OK but the high current/power is not being connected to the starter motor.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

CQ GQ 92 mark (21st January 2018), GQtdauto (12th January 2018), MB TD42 (19th January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work 4bye4 . i will try that asap ,i through a screw driver across the starter yesterday but only got a click out of it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CQ GQ 92 mark View Post
    i through a screw driver across the starter yesterday but only got a click out of it
    If you have already shorted the main +ve with a screwdrive and starter does not turn, Its a faulty earth to the starter motor, a faulty starter motor or faulty battery, even though you say the starter motor and battery are OK. Way out of left field, but the engine does turn I suppose, its not siezed is it? Or the starter motor not installed correctly and not able to turn?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (12th January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just run the set up on the old startermotor and ran the starter,, But wont run the new starter.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being the new starter that iv bolted to the truck,,, we are all over this like white on rice

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a auto transmittion, it so it has a inhibitor so it so it cannot start in drive. Put it in nutraul. Then start it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast