Thread: Towing

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing

Hi all I was wondering what people are towing with a 3 ltr zd30auto patrol I know what auto and manual can pull, Also how does it ride on the road, mine was ok but I felt it was lacking power to pull ? Might be just me thinking I’ve over loaded the caravan lol, does your engine temp rise when going up hill ? What’s best when towing ? Elec breaks ? Thanks for any recommendations.

Dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling a 2.5 tonne van up hills yes temps shot up ,it does pull the load but barely and just with nothing left to overtake a slow car or truck .
    Towing with OD off is the only way to go unless you have the torque lock up mod fitted which is a must for towing in an auto imo and makes a huge difference .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you always have OD off when towing, never used it lol in normal driving do you have it off ? What does it do lol
    How much would that mod be ? might look at it as thinking bigger caravan.

Thanks

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just youtube it , always on when driving, would I only turn it off when driving at speed and going up hills, or from start to finish driving ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember a GU auto can only tow 2.5T. Don't know how big your caravan is now but it's not hard to load a reasonable sized van up to max towing weight - let alone ATM, GTM, GVM, GCM, towball weight, axle weights, tyre loading - it's a minefield!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a car on a trailer with a ZD30CR manual, I can sit on the speed limit up Greenmount, but if I have to slow down for anything it is slow to get back up to speed. Once past that i can sit on 100 & overtake if necessary. I don't use 5th gear with a loaded trailer, electric brakes are the best thing ever on a trailer, temp gauge barely moves (I don't have EGT). My old ZD30DI was not too different.
    Graham

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with towing with a ZD30 is the EGT when you put the foot down hard. I have towed for many years and it was not until I installed an EGT gauge that I realised how high and how fast the EGT rose. This is thought to be one of the causes of cracked heads, blown head gaskets and cracked pistons.

When I now tow I keep a very close eye on the EGT and back off when it starts to climb, not put the foot down further and risk damage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madchef View Post
    Would you always have OD off when towing, never used it lol in normal driving do you have it off ? What does it do lol
    How much would that mod be ? might look at it as thinking bigger caravan.

Thanks
    Sorry mate been busy ,we only towed with OD in off position unless going downhill and yes this increases your revs but the 3.0 ltr loved sitting on around 2.800rpm .

The GQ I have fitted the torque lock and although the autos are basically the same the difference is truly amazing .
    As for cost you can fork out $600 odd dollars for a plug and play unit from Wholesale automatics or if your handy with wiring there is a thread here dedicated to any diy handy person .
    Basic setup on the GQ cost me nothing because I got the relay for free just depends on how foolproof you want to make it .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys might fit an EGT and looking at torque lock best start shopping lol