Thread: TD42 turbo upgrade.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42 turbo upgrade.

Hi guys, so in the midst of upgrading to the new EFR Borg Warner at the mo, just have a few questions not sure if as yet. . .Old Safari unit is off and doesn't look to flash so glad it's going in the bin. Engine has been using a slight amount of oil lately and finding oil in piping after turbo so thinking turbo seals the cause here. Oil breather and airbox look clean as, also did a little blow by test before I shut it off and pretty confident it's healthy there. Could see a slight mist revving it but oil cap sitting on top didn't move as did a rag.

Something bit weird did happen during the Simpson crossing on the Madigan line couple years back. Noticed oil coming from #1 exhaust manifold. Thought it was from rocker cover or else where but defiantly manifold. Would this likely be valve stem seals or possible cracked head or from stud maybe? After stressing out problem did go away but is still a slight amount of oil there now think it's come back a bit. Just wondering if it would be a good idea to take the head off now while it's half apart and giving it a bit of love and a new head gasket. Also what is the difference between the N/A and turbo head is this something to potentially coincider upgrading at this time too ??

Guess I want the thing to be reliable as a no1 priority heading to WA and remote mid year and with many more remote adventures to come.

Engine is @ just under 360 thou K, compression checked out last year at around 380-400 psi so below standard but well within spec. Pics below of oil on manifold. . .

Apologies for long winded post

Also just thought of another Q. Going to get the manifold ceramic coated, does anyone know a good place ideally east Melb, if not I'll do some googleing.

Cheers heaps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get the head done. New double valve springs, seals and fresh multi angle valve grind providing the valves are good enough to reuse
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely get the head recoed now for peace of mind , what turbo is going back in Rossco I'm in two minds as to replace injector pump or turbo before the big trip this year .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys sweet will pull pull the head off then for a bit of love. So what about the turbo head (TD42T), how do these differ from the TD42 N/A head and what are the benefits? Double valve springs what are they are the benefits?

Turbo going on is a Borg Warner EFR 6758, can't wait to see how it goes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Cheers guys sweet will pull pull the head off then for a bit of love. So what about the turbo head (TD42T), how do these differ from the TD42 N/A head and what are the benefits? Double valve springs what are they are the benefits?

Turbo going on is a Borg Warner EFR 6758, can't wait to see how it goes.

Double valve springs are just piece of mind for boost applications really, just making sure the valve stays closed when it needs to be. I've had them on my td for years, since I had an issue burning out a valve from what was assumed to caused by a weak spring, also have them on the g6et. New valve springs in general isn't going to hurt at all.

Just keep the same head, and THOROUGHLY inspect the face of the rocker arms where it meets the valve, they do wear and cause difficulties setting clearances. They may need to be reground flat
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 8th January 2018 at 04:42 PM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Benny, what about the pre comps between both heads? Do these differ if so is there any real benefit to the turbo ones or silver top just as good pretty much. . .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get the turbo ones. Your ones will likely be cracked anyway, they usually are with age
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT