OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knuckle flange seals which way round???

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

knuckle flange seals which way round???

after looking at a few you tube videos etc now completely confused. Firstly the supporting ring is straight forward, then then grease seal fits in nicely and also no issue here. The new seal kit had all the bits but not in any order, so this did not help.

Now the way it appears to go in, looking at the diagram, the seal seems to overlap by a 1cm which does not look right also it has two dot indentations on opposite sides of the seal . Turning the seal the other way it appears to fit nicely but not the way it appears in some photos or diagrams so now confused. Before you ask, I did removed the old seals but my mate could not remember the exact way it came off and he pulled it all apart (great help he was). Thus is there a correct way? would like to fit it correctly before dismantling the other side

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way I am referring to the scrapper seal as to which way it goes on

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a thread on this somewhere on the forum , try using the search box .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I have searched the site for hours now and when I look at the series of great photos from MR on how to rebuild the swivels hubs etc, he shows the three seals in correct order but the grease and scrapper seals back to front to how my old seals were removed, see his photo below.

I then looked at how they should fit together, as I played around with them, and they seem to fit correctly when in the same order and position as the old ones were when removed. Checked that this was the way with both sides as to how they were positioned when removed.

Thus I am not 100% sure if mine were incorrectly installed (but I believe they have never been changed on any services or when diff locks were added) or if MR's photo is right (assuming that I am looking at it correctly) and need to spend more time getting it to fit the right way round??

At this stage I am leaning to fitting them exactly the way they were positioned when they were removed. By the way it is a GU TB48 Y61 2003

Mud runner photo.jpgway the old ones were fitted.JPG

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having not done one myself yet it would be hard to know if there was a difference between between old and new models but I'm doubting it , as for the correct way for the seals to go I'm sure if MR had it wrong someone would have corrected him by now and I'm positive he's done a few and if it was wrong he would have corrected it .
    Maybe it doesn't matter I don't know hopefully someone who does will be along but failing that I suppose you could just go the way it was I suppose .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you're getting at , in the parts diagram it clearly shows the narrow flange towards the wheel or out and in the pic from Mudrunner it appears opposite .

IMG_8613.JPG

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read all the thread there was a question about these seals and I checked the photos later on and they appear to be as per diagram so the first pic that you have might be unclear , just something you need to read and look at all the pics and later comments .
    I also know there were some problems with the photos because of "Photobucket" and I'm thinking this might be part or all of the problem here .
    If Mudrunner reads this he will be able to confirm it .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (31st December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Edit. Let me have another look. I did do a correction on another seal.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 31st December 2017 at 05:58 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (31st December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    YES the pic is a little confusing I reckon. From memory there really is only one way they will fit snug. The 2 rubber scrapper rings will only fit to each other 1 way.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (31st December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate , I think the confusion is the raised lip in towards the wheel or in towards motor I haven't done mine yet but from your pics and all of them it appears to be raised edge facing out towards wheel as per your copied diagram .
    Will be doing mine before the cape trip next year and will be using your hard work for the reference and thanks for doing it Mudrunner .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st January 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast