Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats my best Tyre Size option?

G'day good people

just a quick question. I have a 1995 gq coil cab and i have recently given it a 2"lift. I'm due for a set of tyres and I'm not sure whether to get 33" or stay with 31"?
    I have 15x8 -22 rims and would also like some feed back about which all-terrain tyres to buy?

Thank you joe_dirt2318:feedback
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th January 2018 at 01:49 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,313 Times in 6,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    33's anyday. But do you do any sort of 4 wheeling? If not and its more a farm ute etc etc, then save the coin and get the 31's. 33's will put a little more strain on the motor too, as there is that little more to turn.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    33's anyday. But do you do any sort of 4 wheeling? If not and its more a farm ute etc etc, then save the coin and get the 31's. 33's will put a little more strain on the motor too, as there is that little more to turn.
    yeah its mostly a daily driver but i love getting out in the bush four wheel driving and camping.
    and suggestions of tyre brand? I've read good things about the Maxxis AT980 tyres

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tyre brand choices are very hard to define

I prefer BFGoodrich, but currently have Khumo............... $$$$$ was a big factor
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said elswhere that you are building the car up for touring.

In my opinion 31" tyres are more suitable for touring , cheaper to run, & easier to replace in remote areas. ( I'd advise switching to 16" rims though - far better chance of getting a replacement in small outback places)

Our vehicle & camper has 265/75 Bridgestone D697's all round. So far we have used them in sand, on corrugations of every colour, rocks, wet clay, a variety of gravel, including the sharp quartz up around Boulia & bitumen, at pressures which have varied between 46psi cold & 18 psi hot, & have not been found wanting. Chosen on price & load carrying capacity. Load carrying capacity is important for tourers which are inevitably heavy - reassuring when in remote parts. Reckon I'd buy them again.

Bigger tyres will use more fuel, & with a 2" lift you don't need the extra clearance they provide for 'adventure touring'. Of course for playing at home, then perhaps you want the max clearance possible, in which case a set of 33" muddies would be the go, but if you're not up for two sets of tyres/wheels to swap between ..........go the 31's.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 31st December 2017 at 09:33 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you would be surprised how well BFG ATs will go off road plus youll get a heap of miles from them.
    Thats what Im putting on my wagon next, they are quiet and will return good fuel figures.
    I will only be getting them in 285s x 16
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate Coopers & (very early days Kumhos- ‘Now much better/good?’) from personal experiences. Maxxis appear from 1 x highway set awesome. Higher coin but BFG KM1//2s for the scrub/mountains for me and we can’t seem to kill BFG little AT’s on little Nav’s either :-)
    33’s for the all rounder win IMHO although that’s a family wagon smart choice she says ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (1st January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just got a set of Hankook Dynapro and so far so good, was under $1000 for all 4 and a wheel alignment.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a set of BF Goodrich tyres yesterday in 33x12.5r15
    I will post a picture when there on
    Thanks again guys

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_dirt2318 For This Useful Post:

MB (10th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running 31" BFG AT on the mighty gutlux. Just clocked 80K on them and still meat left. Have the same tyre 33" on the Gq but don't have enough K's on them yet to make a call re longevity.
    If they do as well on the bigger, heavier, vehicle BFG have a fan for life in me.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

MB (12th January 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast