Thread: Why use a hook when winching??

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why use a hook when winching??

I'm only new to 4 wheeling so bare with me if it's really obvious but my questions is; why do people use a hook on the end of their winch rope? From my understanding, you normally attach the ends of the tree trunk protector to a shackle and you attach the winch hook to that shackle. Now, we're always trying to minimise the potential for metal things to go flying so why not just go from shackle to the eye of the winch rope and skip the hook all together??? I'm also thinking about going with soft shackles to get rid of metal bits all together but that's a whole other story!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jp4294 For This Useful Post:

MB (28th December 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day mate! In a past life I’ve performed some horrible uneducated self & others recoveries. Thanks to this great forum and its top members my current setup for localised needs is working safe & well I believe? Still re-learning techniques every day and of course every new sticky situation we manage to get ourselves into requires paused thought and physics assessment. Stay safe, let’s keep learning together brother, Cheers Mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't always hook onto a tree sometimes we hook onto other fourbys etc so the hook is the way to go ,most winches if not all on the Aussie market have a pretty good hook from new and from what I've seen there are more mishaps from something breaking other than the hook .
    Probably one of the most dangerous things we do is using a winch so we should always be mindful of how we go about it .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only in regards directly ‘open’ hooks onto a strap/trunk protector or soft winch extensions Rob mate I do too fear for a traction vehicle assistance jolt/slack line. Has always worried me that the ‘hook tip’ could catch/pierce anywhere on soft material once hauling momentarily commences again. I am a big believer now for us all these days of slow and steady thought out connections somewhat like Riggers & Dogman do safely skilled daily would love to learn!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (31st December 2017), GQtdauto (28th December 2017), PeeBee (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Soft shackles have been discussed on the forum. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...=soft+shackles
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (28th December 2017), MB (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure Craig mate! ET at it again previously giving top advice :-) Still meaning to purchase anti-recoil snatch kit kindly suggested although most time these days is spent winch hauling moderators out of the seasonal snow drifts via double block back to track:-)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (29th December 2017), mudnut (29th December 2017), PeeBee (29th December 2017), Winnie (29th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jp4294 View Post
    I'm only new to 4 wheeling so bare with me if it's really obvious but my questions is; why do people use a hook on the end of their winch rope? From my understanding, you normally attach the ends of the tree trunk protector to a shackle and you attach the winch hook to that shackle. Now, we're always trying to minimise the potential for metal things to go flying so why not just go from shackle to the eye of the winch rope and skip the hook all together??? I'm also thinking about going with soft shackles to get rid of metal bits all together but that's a whole other story!
    If you have a moused hook then don't use a shackle just put the strap loops into the hook.
    If you have a hook that is attached by a clevis pin or otherwise to the winch line then take the hook off, stow it somewhere and use the eye, you will find you will use the eye more often than the hook anyway.

If you use the hook beware you don't tip load it IE make sure the load is inline with the winch cable pull.
    If you use shackles then use D for Chain and Bow for Straps
    If you attach your winch line to the shackle pin then you may want to pack the shackle pin so the line is centred esp if it is a metal thimble
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (31st December 2017), GQtdauto (29th December 2017), jp4294 (29th December 2017), MB (29th December 2017), mudnut (29th December 2017), mudski (29th December 2017), PeeBee (29th December 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    For sure Craig mate! ET at it again previously giving top advice :-) Still meaning to purchase anti-recoil snatch kit kindly suggested although most time these days is spent winch hauling moderators out of the seasonal snow drifts via double block back to track:-)

What is this 'anti recoil snatch kit' you are talking about MB? What I don't see anyone using, including me, is a back-up line when winching, in case the winch rope snaps. This is a standard 'rig' i believe in the Vic police 4wd training. tricky for you to do I reckon as it would need to be constantly adjusted so the actual break load or kinetic energy is kept to a minimum. I raise this specifically with the wide use of synthetic ropes. I have found the wire cable less damaged from abrasion whilst running across rocks and thru dirt, however understanding this is only a snap-shot visual assessment, not after constant use. What I also note is the UV affected ropes on vehicles that sit in the sun and winch rope leeches out and weakens. Bit of a divergence I know from the topic but related. I have my rope covered with a piece of 2ply conveyor belt, held in place with a couple of loose fitting cable ties - works well and easily flipped up when the winch is in use. I will take a couple of photos over the weekend and post.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (31st December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    What is this 'anti recoil snatch kit' you are talking about MB? .
    ET kindly posted a link a while back to a WA kit manufacturer mate. The snatch strap had additional teathers each end stitched in that were shackeld to secondary chassis points. If the snatches bow shackles or points failed for whatever reason these teathers caught everything and saved the day!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (29th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Piccy of a Bridle and a Snatchie with anti-recoil straps all set up

NB I use soft shackles unless one of the parties is unhappy and wants to use rated forged suckers

snatch_strap.jpg
    Last edited by the evil twin; 29th December 2017 at 01:35 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (31st December 2017), DX grunt (29th December 2017), MB (29th December 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast